Zeiss ZF/compact primes vs. Standards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Zeiss ZF/compact primes vs. Standards

Hi Brian,

I trust that you are well.

I have found the Zacuto quick release arms to be excellent for tightening without rotating, and I really like the quick release.

ZicroMount - Zacuto

Cheers,

Ben
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Akam View Post
Andrew I have that Chrosziel. You have to buy a separate gear that reverses it and sitson top of that gear. I like these new systems with it built into it so you can use it also with Cine lens. Its a bit of work to take the revering gear off, so I have a second follow focus for Cine lenses and EFP lenses... You can see the second gear in the attached photo. Also as we talked about it only can go on one side of the follow focus, so its been a problem with my new Chrosziel Matte box.
I did some research into the Chrosziel and found a series of video reviews on a bunch of different follow focus units. One of the reviews was on the Chrosziel. In the course of the review/demo they showed how you could put the gear on the other side of the gear box. It was unclear though if the gear would be in reverse motion when you moved the gear ring from one side of the gear box to the other. I was hoping it would. Below is a link to the video review series of follow focus units...

ProVideo Coalition.com: VIDEO: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller

I had a chance to use the GENUS follow focus yesterday and found there was a noticeable amount of lash (play) in the unit. You may be able to adjust this but it didn't leave me feeling confident about the unit.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ruffell View Post
I have found the Zacuto quick release arms to be excellent for tightening without rotating, and I really like the quick release.[/url]
I have a Zacuto rig as well but for many the cost is too prohibitive. When you factor in the arm and BOTH of the receiving bits, depending on the size of the arm and what the receiving bits are, you are into it for over 300 bucks and often in the 400 to 500 range.

On a whim I bought the IKAN articulating arm. It is relatively short and has a 1/4" 20 threaded bit on both ends. When you tighten the unit down it is very solid and it is seventy bucks at this point in time and light weight...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/648153-REG/Ikan_MA206_MA206_6_Articulating_Arm.html

I plan on buying a few more to have on hand.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have used screw threaded arms for years, and I remember from my assisting days that they were slow, unreliable and always worked loose. The Zacuto quick release system solves all of this. It is excellent. Expensive, but will last a lifetime.

Previous to the Zacuto system a couple of the top AC's that I work with had machined their own quick release arms (they just did it for their own benefit and never went into manufacturing). The quick release saves time and hassle on set.

(Also, I am sure the cost will not be an issue for Brian).

The zacuto gear will still be useful in 15 years time, I am sure that the F3 will be old news by then.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #20
Inner Circle

You can get rid of all the backlash in the genus superior, but it does me stripping the unit down.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta