Dead LCD Pixels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dead LCD Pixels

My new F3 is the first EX camera I've owned, so I'm not familiar with some of the basic characteristics. After about a week of operation, I have a dead pixel in the LCD viewfinder. It's hot enough to see at 0 db,
and, of course, if peaking is on, it's really obvious. No effect on recorded video, of course, but a bit annoying.

Is this typical of EX LCDs? Can I expect to see more of these as the camera ages?
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Dead LCD Pixels

I haven't seen this on the older EX cameras I've worked with. Any LCD can lose a pixel, but I'm guessing once you do a warranty replacement you won't see it happen again...

Bummer though. I had a bad data sector in one of the SxS cards I ordered with the F3 and didn't have time to test the whole card before my first shoot with the camera. Lost about eight minutes of footage. A fluke, I'm sure, but a really depressing one.
David Soll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is it on the LCD or is it occurring on the sensor? Can you see it on an external monitor?

If it's a hot pixel sensor then you should try black balancing a few times to see if that helps.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tittle View Post
No effect on recorded video, of course, but a bit annoying.
It's only on the LCD. No effect on picture quality.
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Are you using a magnifier on the LCD? I have burn't a EX1 LCD out in the sun with this. It makes the pixels white, when it happens.
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No magnifier, haven't even shot outdoors, yet.
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta