Convergent Design unit records 4.4.4. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Convergent Design unit records 4.4.4.

"Interested in whether Ninja comes out with an SDI version at NAB. Any word on this?"

The Atomos Samurai comes out in July / August - essentially a Ninja with SDI In. I'm not sold on Prores though, and I believe the Ninja has problems accepting progressive frame rates or something???
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
When I tried this at 50i all I got is single link 50i out of SDi 1 as well as the SDi monitor out. Nothing on SDi 2
My results also. KiPro mini reads 29.97, no dual link apparent.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I'm not sold on Prores though,
you might be if you ever shot on an Alexa. Alexa picture quality, even just as it's lowest denominator (Rec709/ProRes HQ) is the bees knees for color correction and processing.

I even like it better than Redcode, and I know a A-list colorist here in Los Angeles who based on his comments i think would say the same. It's REALLY flexible material.

Last edited by Nate Weaver; March 26th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Nate, Also love the Alexa's knee and am trying to tweak the F3's gamma to come close. Trying some of Alister's suggestion, but noticed 4:2:0's weakness when grading a skin texture test yesterday - saw a very slight flickering amongst uneven coloration within a face. Have you ever seen this 'flickering' on F3 footage through DaVinci? Do you think recording 4:2:2 on Nano will rid it?

Last edited by Brian Lai; March 27th, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lai View Post
Nate, Also love the Alexa's knee and am trying to tweak the F3's gamma to come close. Trying some of Alister's suggestion, but noticed 4:2:0's weakness when grading a skin texture test yesterday - saw a very slight flickering amongst uneven coloration within a face. Have you ever seen this 'flickering' on F3 footage through DaVinci? Do you think recording 4:2:2 on Nano will rid it?
Never seen anything like you describe. I saw your other post about transcoding the native files in After Effects, and after hearing that, I have to suspect something went wonky in your conversion.

Flickering skin tones would never be a side effect of 4:2:0. 4:2:0 causes blockiness (aliasing) on the edges of saturated color, and you usually need to blow up the video to see it. So I have no idea what you're seeing.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks for clarifying 4:2:0 . The flickering I noticed was a very slight color fringing on an ECU of a face, and the post house I'm working with have imported XDCAM browser so conversion shouldn't be the problem. BTW, do you like the Nucoda FilmMaster for grading vs. DaVinci?
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lai View Post
Thanks for clarifying 4:2:0 . The flickering I noticed was a very slight color fringing on an ECU of a face, and the post house I'm working with have imported XDCAM browser so conversion shouldn't be the problem. BTW, do you like the Nucoda FilmMaster for grading vs. DaVinci?
I think you'd have to post a still or a movie, because you say both flickering AND fringing, and I can't really tell what you're talking about.

My color correction experience goes from Apple Color to Davinci, with a little bit of Scratch along the way, so I can't comment on FilmMaster other than I know it's well regarded, if a little rare.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #38
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
Also note that there is no TC on the dual link SDI out when operating in this mode.
There most certainly is timecode on Dual-Link A. It triggers my Nano perfectly.
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
There most certainly is timecode on Dual-Link A. It triggers my Nano perfectly.
You have timecode when outputting 60fps on dual link? The nano can't record 60fps 1080p so I'm not sure what your camera is set to.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #40
Vortex Media

I didn't say I was RECORDING dual link. I said that my F3 outputs SDI with embedded timecode on connector A when it is configured for Dual Link. I can record "singe" link from connector A and it has timecode.
Dual-link does have timecode and it is easy to detect even without having a dual-link recorder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta