Mid-Range Zoom - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Mid-Range Zoom

I have a Sigma 70-300 as well and for the money it's a great lens.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Major Player

I picked up the Sigma 70-300 today. F3 hasn't touched down yet but I put this lens on my still camera. Wow. Considering this lens is close to free in the cine lens world this lens is a spectacular deal. If you haven't put it on a still camera yet, you are in for a treat. The AF speed is razor quick. For those considering this lens, the feel of the barrel mechanics and bokeh are good for the price.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:49 AM   #18
New Boot

It's funny the way it's turned out.

We now have 35mm sized sensors in video cameras, and find ourselves over the moon when we discover that it's possible to use a zoom lens that will travel through the zoom range without loosing focus!

At less than half the cost on an Arri 16 SR3 film magazine, we can work with cameras sharing similar optical characteristics as a half million dollar Panavision motion picture camera. In so many ways, large-sensor video a brilliant advance, but I feel that zoom lenses designed for stills cameras have limited application on a large-sensor video camera in certain shooting situations.

You have to spend big for a decent video zoom lens with good reason. f1.8 is quite usual at the wide end and it's built to be f1.8 aperture right through the range. It can't be any other way can it? Otoh, I'm just loving discovering all the old lenses that people have had stashed away. Keep them coming.
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Trustee

Just got my 28-70 f2.8 Nikon. Lovely! - and not as heavy as I expected. much smaller than my 80-200.
So now I have tokina 11-16, and Nikon's 17-35, 28-70 and 80--200. Preliminary quick and dirty test showed that all look to have similar color and contrast - not too different perhaps than Zeiss ZF.
Better tests to come.

I would like to try the 24-70 for the wider range but stayed away because people here complained about being restricted to the MTF iris control.

time to get off the computer and start shooting this thing.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta