Handholding an F3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Handholding an F3?

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the followup on the FS-100.
It may be more applicable to my shooting needs, as I already have and use a shoulder mount camera.
Guess I'll wait for its release and have a look-see.
Thanks again.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Major Player

I got a chance to hold the the F3 yesterday and I can say that it is bulkier than the EX1 and is definitely not a good idea for any extended period of time. I'd suggest a turtle over the shoulder support for this camera. That would work very well.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Just received my Turtle-XS today. Tried it with the F3, but, unfortunately I can't make it fit me. It appears to be too short. (I'm 6'2" tall.) It does seem to bear the load of the camera OK, but that won't do me much good with the crossbar whacking me in the head...

I guess I'll have to settle for something more Zacutoish. (Zacutoid?)
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tittle View Post
Just received my Turtle-XS today. Tried it with the F3, but, unfortunately I can't make it fit me. It appears to be too short. (I'm 6'2" tall.) It does seem to bear the load of the camera OK, but that won't do me much good with the crossbar whacking me in the head...

I guess I'll have to settle for something more Zacutoish. (Zacutoid?)
sorry to hear that ... I have a Marzpak made about 10 years ago but unfortunately no long made. I'm not sure why but the fact is that company is out of business. It's an excellent over the shoulder harness system and I've used it plenty of times where hand held is required.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Last week, I modified a Tiffen Steady Stick for my F3, and that worked OK. Not too robust, but usable. I'll keep using that until I figure something out.

When I looked at the photos of the Turtle-X, I thought that fit might be a problem, but I emailed Lars, and he said he's 6' 6" and it fits him. I suppose that "fit" is a relative term. But if I adjust the straps to put the crosspiece high enough, I have a belt cinched across my stomach. If I let the belt ride on my hips, the crosspiece lines up with my ear, and I can't get my eye on the viewfinder without scrunching over. Awkward.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I shot a music video with the F3 this weekend. All handheld. We used the Redrock handlebars and shoulder pad mounted off 15mm narrow rods. We had a nano flash, compact primes, mmb-1 and followfocus.

The set up kinda worked. But far from ideal. A bit uncomfortable, the flip out screen was used for framing - but the quality of that image is terrible... and also very hard to see focus.

I had my Sony PVM-740 running for the director, and I relied on that to see what the image was really doing.

The camera was very sensitive, and the images nice. But the ergonomics are useless. Beyond useless even.

We had our choice of cameras on this shoot... Red MX or even the new SRW-9000 PL. We went with the F3 because of post workflow, weight, lens selection - and because I was just plain curious to try it out.

I won't be buying one, nice pictures are one thing, but the lack of design is staggering.

Clip will be posted and finished in the next few weeks - it will be up on my website.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Don't give up yet. If you want to go minimal, use parts from IDC's U Boat system designed for the 5D - taking the knurled handle and screwing onto the tripod hole, slip a $5 bicycle handle bar grip on it, and balance the camera with your left hand on the handle. For a little added shoulder support, just screw the IDC shoulder support onto the 2nd tripod mounting hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Handholding an F3?-img_1260.jpg   Handholding an F3?-img_1261.jpg  

Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Biggest problem is that I want to be able to use my left hand to focus, adjust aperture, maybe zoom. All the stuff I'm used to doing when I shoot handheld. Shoulder rig with counterweight is the only thing I haven't tried yet. Seems like a crime to make this camera bigger and heavier, just to be able to hand hold it.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Ben, I totally hear and feel your pain. In Sydney I couldn't use the Cineroid EVF because the HDMI out was rendered inoperational when the Nano was receiving signal from the HD SDI out, but the footage is very impressive thanks to your advices. I now ask my AC to carry a loop and check focus on that horrible little side finder.

All the prosumer bits of the camera are annoying and I'm hoping the FS100 will be a cleaner design, but sadly read that it will not have HD SDI out, just HDMI. Sony designers should spend a day on the set to see what happens to that consumer grade connector when the cables get inevitably kicked and tripped by everyone.
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:56 AM   #25
Trustee

Jim,

I'm curious - how much gear do you need when you go handheld? mattebox? followfocus?, rails?
ow much can you jettison to make it easier?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tittle View Post
Shoulder rig with counterweight is the only thing I haven't tried yet. Seems like a crime to make this camera bigger and heavier, just to be able to hand hold it.
Balance tends to be more important than the weight or pure bulk. There are instances where operators have used 1000ft loads on a 35mm film camera to balance out the camera.

I suspect putting an accessory eyepiece V/F around the lens mount line or a bit forward of that location would balance the camera without adding much extra weight or bulk. Some camera assistants in an early video of the F3 suggested this as they rigged out the camera for a shoot.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:03 AM   #27
Regular Crew

The amount of gear I need depends on the situation. Most commonly, I just need camera and lens. If I have the luxury of a focus-puller, then I need the rails and everything else. Right now, I'd be happy with just being able to hand hold the naked camera & lens.

I think having an EVF near the lens would be great, if a decent one existed. I keep wanting to put the camera body on my shoulder, where it belongs. The other option, with a rig that makes the camera 2x as long, with a counter weight, seems more likely right now.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM   #28
Regular Crew

An interesting solution is in the works as a rental house (www.joesutherland.com) is in the process of building an ergonomic package. Joe originaly designed the EX-3 mounts that were built by SA and sold by EFGadgets here in Toronto. He is waiting for an EVF to make his F-3s suitable for handheld work.
Attached Thumbnails
Handholding an F3?-f-3-handheld.jpg  

Last edited by Peter Mykusz; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Photos
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:58 AM   #29
Major Player

I've been viewing the various camera porting solutions with amazement, and wonder just how these obviously shoulder-facilitated contraptions would qualify as hand-holding devices? Doesn't the very fact that they are designed to be placed on one's shoulder defy the definition of same?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Hand held has traditionally meant using a camera without a tripod or similar and body stabilization systems

For the best quality hand held camera work you usually need two or three points of support, this becomes more important as the cameras become heavier and especially if the cameras don't have an image stabilization systems.

Hand held means more than holding the camera in your hand, it's a short hand for operating the camera without an other means of support, just using your body. Of course, you move the camera using your hand, but it's also stabilized using parts of your body.

The advantage of your shoulder is that you can hold the camera for longer periods of time compared to just using your hand. Cameras like the F3, with 35mm cine lenses, are getting beyond the handicam PD 150 type form - the Canon XF 300 is probably is just about the limit, although I wouldn't like to hold that like a handicam for too long.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta