i/Data incorrect when using Red lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Major Player

i/Data incorrect when using Red lenses?

Hi guys. Yesterday I had a chance to use the RED zoom lens for the first time. I noticed that the focus distance indicated in the LCD is no where close to what the lens focus distance is set to.

I really like being able to see the focus distance (and approx DOF) in the LCD, and this works perfectly with my Sony primes but this feature was useless on my first outing with these RED zooms.

Is there a calibration that needs to be done for the RED lens? Does this calibration get rolled up into the "lens file" feature?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: i/Data incorrect when using Red lenses?

Aaron, which Red lens are you using? I have two of their 17mm - 50mm zooms but there are no iData contacts on them. As I understand it, only the Cooke and Arri iData lenses work (along with the Sony's of course)
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

I used two of them. I actually had to go back to my iphone snapshots to see what they were. I think one was the 17-50mm and the other was definitely the 50-150. They definitely had the contacts on them. They definitely drove the LCD distance readout as you adjust the focus, or at least I know the 17-50 did (which is the lens I was using when I noticed it was not accurate).

I had no idea that I would be using these lenses, or else I would have researched it beforehand. I didn't know I needed to use them until 2 minutes before I had to. No time to check even the basics, let alone esoteric features like this. I hate shooting that way.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

The first thing I'd check is to see if the physical marks on the barrel are anywhere near correct. If not, then they probably need to be shimmed. I'd trust the FFD on the F3 before I'd trust those lenses, if for no other reason than the FFD on the body was probably set correctly by a nice man in Japan very recently.

You'd have to start there, really.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5
Major Player

You're probably right Nate. I wish I had more time with the lenses to unravel this mystery. Hopefully someone with a RED zoom can check into this on their F3.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have both of those lenses, and it appears the zoom number seems to be a precentage, like the EX3 camera.

at 17 it is at "0" and 50 it is at 99.

if thats what you mean.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
You're probably right Nate. I wish I had more time with the lenses to unravel this mystery. Hopefully someone with a RED zoom can check into this on their F3.
That would be me, I have two. They're off, but so are the physical marks.

I need to have them worked on.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hollings View Post
I have both of those lenses, and it appears the zoom number seems to be a precentage, like the EX3 camera.

at 17 it is at "0" and 50 it is at 99.

if thats what you mean.
That's interesting but I was actually talking about the distance display on the LCD, not the zoom.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ah, sorry Aaron, mis read your question.
Ryan Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Major Player

I had issues with the i/Data with the RED lenses as well... in Africa I got some really off readings from the lens showing I was at a specific distance, when I wasn't at all. It might be a temperature thing with the lenses. Was it extremely hot/cold where you were shooting?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post
I had issues with the i/Data with the RED lenses as well... in Africa I got some really off readings from the lens showing I was at a specific distance, when I wasn't at all. It might be a temperature thing with the lenses. Was it extremely hot/cold where you were shooting?
No, it was regular springtime California weather. Air conditioned indoors mostly. I've given up on looking at the distance meter in the LCD. I look on the lens now, which seems to be close.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta