DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Follow focus options for F3 and zeis cp.2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/495773-follow-focus-options-f3-zeis-cp-2-a.html)

William Graydon May 11th, 2011 11:20 AM

Follow focus options for F3 and zeis cp.2

If the Zeis CP.2 will be primarilly used with the F3, would a chorsziel dv studio rig suit it just fine? I have read and heard that the Arri ff-4 is the industry standard but is it really that much better than the studio rig given the price difference?

Also considering the Zacuto among other FF systems.

I would like to keep the cost under $2000. bang for the buck type deal.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Henry Epstein May 11th, 2011 11:40 AM

Re: Follow focus options for F3 and zeis cp.2

A new version of the Redrock Micro Follow Focus is expected by the end of May.

Its the Redrock Follow Focus Blue (V3).

Leonard Levy May 11th, 2011 11:46 AM

Best bang for buck seems to be the shoot 35 for round $600. if you need a reversing gear for Nikon or hard stops (esp for still zoom lenses with continuous focus rings) then you need a an Arri MFF-1 at 1750 . Don't know if zacuto offers hard stops. That's what I've seen anyway.

William Graydon May 11th, 2011 12:04 PM

Thank you for the quick replies. I will be waiting for the RR follow focus. With the Chorsziel will I have issues with the PL lenses I intend to use? at about $1600 is looks like a good deal. I just want something that feels sturdy and actually is sturdy. minimal play.

Also, Im trying to figure out why some of the other follow focus sytems cost so much more.

Leonard Levy May 11th, 2011 12:09 PM

Beware - Redrock has had a "no return" policy . sounds good tho maybe I should have waited

Leonard Levy May 11th, 2011 12:19 PM

The Redrock sounds terrific but be careful - Redrock has had an alarming "no return" policy . Negotiate that option ahead of purchase if you can.

Andrew Stone May 11th, 2011 12:39 PM

Below is a link to a series of video reviews of most of the common follow focus units available (a few of the newer ones are absent). The review goes over the lash in most of the units. The Chrosziel is in there.

ProVideo Coalition.com: VIDEO: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller

William Graydon May 11th, 2011 12:57 PM

Thank you Andrew! Yes I was taking a look at those reviews not to long ago. Will be doing further research.

Ryan Hollings May 11th, 2011 01:51 PM

I had the chrosziel DV Follow focus, and it worked fine for the prime lenses I had.

However, I used an older angenieux zoom lens, and the lens didn't have an internal focus barrel, so you could only spin the lens a little bit. I needed the bigger gear and unfortunately alot of the FF gears aren't availible for the DV follow focus unit. So I upgraded to the studio cine rig, and man I love it.

William Graydon May 11th, 2011 02:04 PM

That's the more expensive double sided system correct? I took a look it one but it is $4000 and I can't really budget for that. Other than than that experience did you feel it was a reliable unit and recommend it?

Btw, the new RR looks pretty good and I will keep in mind the no return policy.

Ryan Hollings May 11th, 2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Graydon (Post 1648184)
That's the more expensive double sided system correct? I took a look it one but it is $4000 and I can't really budget for that. Other than than that experience did you feel it was a reliable unit and recommend it?

Btw, the new RR looks pretty good and I will keep in mind the no return policy.

Indeed it is the double sided system, and you can find it way cheaper than that, I believe mine was around the $2-2.5K.

It was definately a reliable, well built unit, just like most chrosziel items.. If I recall the DV follow focus is a 1:1 gearing I believe the terminology is, meaning for however many times you spin the FF, it spins the gear at the same rotation. The stuido is a 2:1, so you are spinning the handle alot less. I hope that makes sense.. it makes sense in my head, but I don't know if the translation came thru.

William Graydon May 11th, 2011 02:45 PM

def. makes sense. Thanks! I will be looking out for a used system in that case as well. I wonder how the DV studio fares against the arri mff-1.

Ryan Hollings May 11th, 2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Graydon (Post 1648204)
def. makes sense. Thanks! I will be looking out for a used system in that case as well. I wonder how the DV studio fares against the arri mff-1.

Sent you an email William,

lemme know if you got it (just fire one back)

Ryan

Alister Chapman May 12th, 2011 02:45 PM

The Genus Superior FF is a good unit. You can reverse it by putting the pitch gear on the opposite end of the drive spindle. No hard stops though.

David C. Williams May 12th, 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1648534)
The Genus Superior FF is a good unit. You can reverse it by putting the pitch gear on the opposite end of the drive spindle. No hard stops though.

I have that. It doesn't fit under the F3 kit lenses. Contacted Genus, and they are redesigning the sliding plate, but the current version is unusable with my setup.