F3 Nissan Spot - Discolored Seat Belts (IR Issue?) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: F3 Nissan Spot - Discolored Seat Belts (IR Issue?)

I took a stab at it just to see what it would look like. Spent about 3 minutes on it. Used a color replace node in Shake. Didn't look too bad really. Would definitely need some fine tuning to look real though.
Attached Thumbnails
F3 Nissan Spot - Discolored Seat Belts (IR Issue?)-seat-belt-color-replace.png  
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #17
Trustee

It should be noted that while this particular shot looks quite correctable because the color is pretty isolated, its often much harder if not impossible.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
I took a stab at it just to see what it would look like. Spent about 3 minutes on it. Used a color replace node in Shake. Didn't look too bad really. Would definitely need some fine tuning to look real though.
Aaron, doesn't look bad but you can definitively tell how the color is falling apart. I think this will be more apparent during a moving shot as well.

I tried a 'color replace' in After Effects and it was pretty bad. Maybe After Effects isn't the best place to do this? Post was planning on using AE and Magic Bullet for color correction. Wish we could go to a third party with a Resolve, but not sure the agency has that budgeted for this project.

I'd love to post a rough cut for you guys to watch but I think that may get me in trouble. ;)
Philipp Eierund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
It should be noted that while this particular shot looks quite correctable because the color is pretty isolated, its often much harder if not impossible.
Absoultely! Esp. if the color range also shows up in something like the talent's skin tone.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Major Player

And if you are using a program like Apple Color or Blackmagic (Davinci) Resolve doing an object color change is quite easy to do. Take a few seconds once you know how to do it.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Although best avoided in the first place if possible, all this messing around in post costs time and therefore money. Even worse if you're on a tight schedule and have a large volume of shots needing correction.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
And if you are using a program like Apple Color or Blackmagic (Davinci) Resolve doing an object color change is quite easy to do. Take a few seconds once you know how to do it.
I was avoiding coming in here and spouting how trivial a fix it is in a good color correction program, but it's pretty dang easy.

Sooting it right in the first place is step 1, but when it's already done, it's not a big deal if the job is already getting a color pass.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Eierund View Post
I'll have to run some tests soon. This is a nasty problem and Nissan is certainly not going to accept red seat belts. ;)

Dean, any pointers in correcting this issue in post?

Thanks!
go to Utube and type in changing color in apple color. There are tutorials that show you how to do this.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Aaron, doesn't look bad but you can definitively tell how the color is falling apart. I think this will be more apparent during a moving shot as well.

I tried a 'color replace' in After Effects and it was pretty bad. Maybe After Effects isn't the best place to do this? Post was planning on using AE and Magic Bullet for color correction. Wish we could go to a third party with a Resolve, but not sure the agency has that budgeted for this project.

I'd love to post a rough cut for you guys to watch but I think that may get me in trouble. ;)
I actually spent a little more time on it after I took the screen shot. I used the picker to select the seat color as the replacement color. It looked much better and seriously looked passable. Wouldn't matter if it were a moving shot, the color is fairly well isolated and I've also masked the color replacement to only apply to the belts. Just animate the mask shape/location and it could follow the move of the shot easily.

But yes, you guys are all correct,... much easier to get it right in the camera before it's recorded.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I'll have to run some tests soon. This is a nasty problem and Nissan is certainly not going to accept red seat belts. ;)

Dean, any pointers in correcting this issue in post?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
quite right on the isolation ... imagine a presentation where the rostrum is wood red/brown and a moving speaker in black (showing far red contamination) under tungsten with a strong red signal ... nightmare!
I've had to do this and I don't ever want to have to do this again. Getting it right with something like a tiffen IR T1 filter is a better proposition.
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
I was avoiding coming in here and spouting how trivial a fix it is in a good color correction program, but it's pretty dang easy.

Shooting it right in the first place is step 1, but when it's already done, it's not a big deal if the job is already getting a color pass.
I totally agree and have fixed this within AE but I can't recall exactly how I did it. I will try to find it or duplicate it and let you know.

Since your people have AE, they also have Mocha which will track the shapes perfectly if you need masking.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta