10 bit vs 8 bit output - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old June 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: 10 bit vs 8 bit output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Perhaps the compression is a lot more power hungry.
But the EX1 is quite power frugal - same compression as the F3.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
You obviously have not had your hands on both cameras.
Could you build a Mercedes for the same price as a Fiat after all the R&D was finished?
There's no way the manufacturing costs are anywhere near being close on these two cameras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
But the EX1 is quite power frugal - same compression as the F3.
Fair point, i haven't compared the figures. How different are they?

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #33
Inner Circle

The F3 is more power hungry than the EX1, mostly due to having to power 3 x HDSDi outputs, one composite video plus HDMI at the same time. It also has a small (but very quiet) fan that runs when the camera gets hot.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Fair point, i haven't compared the figures. How different are they?
The manuals quote 24 watts for the F3, 5.6 watts for the FS100 - the F3 appears to use well over 4 times the power of the FS100 in normal operation.

If that was solely down to powering HD-SDI outputs (the FS100 is powering HDMI itself), surely it would be sensible to provide a means of disabling them when not in use? (Most of the time, for most people?) And other cameras with HD-SDI don't seem to neccessarily have such power requirements.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #35
Vortex Media

When the dual-link connectors are turned off (yes, you can disable them), the F3 only uses about 18 watts. As a comparison, my F800 uses 45-50 watts even when the SDI connectors are turned off.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
When the dual-link connectors are turned off (yes, you can disable them), the F3 only uses about 18 watts.
Thanks - 18 watts is still more than 3x the power consumption of an FS100 though........
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #37
Vortex Media

The power difference does not surprise me one bit. The FS100 and F3 are as different as night and day except for the actual image sensor.

Just about every high performance product I can think of (cars, computers, digital cameras, appliances) will use more energy that a lower-performance equivalent. There's a hell of a lot more computer processing being done inside an F3, plus you have both a viewfinder and LCD, and two SxS card slots that each require a lot more power than an SD slot. Also, I think by it's very nature, a 12v camera is going to consume more power than a 7v camera.

Although I am shocked by how long my FS100 will run on a single battery, I am still completely satisfied with the battery life on an F3. Anyone who is not happy with how long modern batteries will power modern cameras has not been in the business very long. Wow, people are really getting spoiled. :-)
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Although I am shocked by how long my FS100 will run on a single battery, I am still completely satisfied with the battery life on an F3. Anyone who is not happy with how long modern batteries will power modern cameras has not been in the business very long. Wow, people are really getting spoiled. :-)
Wow these people are spoiled. My Viper uses somewhere around 70 watts just for the camera head (no recorder). When I go out to shoot, I usually bring 12 Anton Bauer Dionic 90s for the day for the Viper.

The amount of power sipping the F3 does is very welcome. My Dionic 90 will power my F3 for hours upon hours, with a recorder built in!
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta