Threaded hole at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Threaded hole

There is a rubber plug covering a threaded hole just above the F3`s lens info button. Anyone know what this is for and how much weight it might support? It would be an opportune location for an EVF like the Zacuto.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Threaded hole

I don't know any specific purpose for it, but I had always heard that the various thread mounts on the camera were fairly strongly supported by the internal frame of the camera body, so I would think it should be fine for an EVF.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Telecam Films

I removed the caps from the two 1/4"-20 holes on the F3 and use those to attach wirelesses, small monitor and hopefully soon, the ultimate EVF. I found those mounting holes to be both, practical and very sturdy.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both. I don`t know if we'll ever see the ultimate EVF, but until that day comes the, Zacuto is doing a heck of a job.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just be aware that the holes only have a thin plastic cover at their bottoms, so if your bolt is too long it can easily break the plastic cover and damage some of the circuits below. I know of one user that cut the ribbon cable that goes to the EVF because he used a bolt that was too long. I think you need to ensure bolts are no longer than 6mm or 1/4".
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Alister, that's valuable information.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I measured the holes depth ... it's 1/2 inch. However, the necessary adapter will make the "last clip" button almost inaccessible. I will thus continue to use the handle mounted cold shoe. Still haven't devised an acceptable method for obscuring cam's own eyepiece to avoid sunlight damage. Any ideas?
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Simple but effective eyepiece protection
cheers

Morton

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...rotection.html
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Thank you Morton.
I wonder if the eyepatch would work with the standard eyecup? Although, I do have one of those chamois covers as shown in your photo, but have never figured out how to get it over the eyecup itself, fearful of forcing it inside.
Since acquiring the Zacuto Z-Finder EVF Pro, I find that I no longer use the built-in EVF.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Ron,

The chamois cover stretches over the lip of the rubber eyepiece. I just checked and the patch would also work with just the rubber eyecup. But if you are not using the eyepiece at all you could tape it over with gaffer tape.
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta