DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   new EF adapter coming soon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/499198-new-ef-adapter-coming-soon.html)

Tony Partamian August 4th, 2011 06:41 AM

new EF adapter coming soon

After many discussions with this company who was very interested,
they decided to produce an EF adapter for the F3 with buil-in iris.

KIPON will begin to sell the first lot adapters for SONY F3 pro video-KIPON adapter

It will be selling in 10 days i hope...

Thierry Humeau August 4th, 2011 08:29 PM

Re: new EF adapter coming soon

Good luck to Kipron then... I think the holly grail for SLR lenses adaptor would be a device that brings better and more precise iris control and a way to tap into the F3 electronics so such things as lens info, built-in stabilizer could be supported. I suppose this is quite complexe to do but one can only hope for a better world.

Take care,

T

Chris Medico August 5th, 2011 07:18 AM

Tony are you saying the adapter will have an iris in it instead of controlling the iris in the lens?

Peter Corbett August 5th, 2011 07:01 PM

I hear last week via a Sony contact that the F3 LCD tube shown at NAB this year will be shipping in a few months.

Alister Chapman August 6th, 2011 09:17 PM

The Kipron's for other cameras get mixed reviews. The iris is in the wrong place in the optical path so tends to create a lot of vignetting rather than proper exposure control.

I'll stick with Nikon lenses with proper iris rings.

Tony Partamian August 8th, 2011 12:53 AM

The Kipon representative told me they designed a built-in iris bigger than their former EOS-m4/3 converter.
And this is aimed at those who already have Canon lenses who don't accept removing the lens to change the iris without seeing the effect and exposure.

If i had the nikon lenses i would already be happy.

Fingers crossed...

Alister Chapman August 9th, 2011 12:59 PM

Doesn't matter how big you make it, it's still in the wrong place. Think about what happens to the projected image from a lens when you pass it through a hole in a piece of card? It vignettes of course. Try shining a video projector through a hole cut in a piece of card.

If adding an iris ring behind the lens really worked, the camera manufacturers would have built it in to the camera bodies, making lenses simpler and much cheaper, sadly it doesn't work that way.

Andrew Stone August 12th, 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1673057)
The iris is in the wrong place in the optical path so tends to create a lot of vignetting rather than proper exposure control.

Yes, can't see how it would be otherwise. Very odd.

Tony Partamian August 18th, 2011 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the picture of the prototypei received from them.
The canon adapter is the first prototype (hence the dirt on the iris) and will be on sale at the end of the month.
The Nikon is already on sale.

PS: even if it vignettes, i prefer to have an iris to see what it looks like before taking-off the lens.
And many times i tend to add vignettes in post.

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 18th, 2011 09:05 AM

This is not a good design. it dosen't control the aperture AT ALL. It just vignette. I can't understand what they were thinking when they designed it. It can't work. I have one for the FS100, and the iris is useless with any lenses.

Chris Medico August 18th, 2011 01:08 PM

Sorry to hear Jean-Phillipe that you had to experience a poorly designed product.

Tony Partamian August 19th, 2011 02:05 AM

But if it costs half the MTF or Adaptimax and you have the option to "preview" the aperture...
why should i get the more expensive options?

Colin Rowe August 19th, 2011 08:03 AM

Maybe because they work

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 19th, 2011 10:08 AM

It can't even preview the aperture. The center stay overexposed while the edges vigniette. Trust me, it's completly unusable.