S-Log question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

S-Log question

Can one can record 4:2:2 s-log from a single link HD-SDI output to an external device like the PIX240? You would just end up getting less color information than recording 4:4:4 to a device like the Gemini right? Also if you record 4:2:2 s-log from a single link can you link a monitor? What will the monitor show as far as color level?

Also which external recorders will record overcrank footage?
Gregory De Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: S-Log question

Yes, But you need have 444 S-Log On, LUT Gen Off, and use the common SDI out, not the A or B. This will also give you S Log on the SxS.
I have reached out to Sony about monitoring with a LUT via HDMI or having 422 S Log as an option on the A/B outs. Will respond as soon as I get it.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Dennis,

I thought it should be set to S-Log 422 or does that still send out the A port?

Because most here will use 422 recorders from the monitor output, you should know there are many options for viewing with LUTs. Personally, I can use my Eizo CG243W and store LUTs in it and use a HDMI to DVI cable (or displayport).

Another great option is the BlackMagic HDLink which takes an SDI input (up to Dual-Link 444) and outputs via DVI, HDMI or Displayport (different models) and SDI. Connect it to a computer via USB and download LUTs to it.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Major Player

The Log settings are for 444. you can get 422 S Log from the SDI by turning off the LUT
Attached Thumbnails
S-Log question-picture-2.png  
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta