DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Big announcement coming for PMWF3??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/504918-big-announcement-coming-pmwf3.html)

Steve Kimmel January 31st, 2012 09:18 PM

Big announcement coming for PMWF3???

Just saw this tweet from CineAltaNews. Any idea what's up?

https://twitter.com/#!/CineAltaNews/...18234102562817

Peter G. Johnson February 1st, 2012 12:41 AM

Re: Big announcement coming for PMWF3???

I know! (but it's my own conspiracy theory.) After reviewing the feedback of suggestions for 1.4 firmware, Sony will release 'optional' $$$$ software allowing 4:2:2 and 50Mbps straight out of the camera.

Alister Chapman February 1st, 2012 03:15 AM

My guess: Free S-Log 4:2:2 Output.

Peter Corbett February 1st, 2012 03:28 AM

That would be great for me, but jeez, if you paid four grand for it... :(

Peter G. Johnson February 1st, 2012 04:39 AM

Free s-log would make sense, although it would only demonstrate Sony's concerns over the Canon C300, which comes with its own log. A big announcement should be something that the Canon can't match.

Tony Partamian February 1st, 2012 06:57 AM

Well it is the S-Log for FREE.

Actually it's for 899$, but as it comes on a 32GB SxS card (worth 899$)
it's actually for free now.

David C. Williams February 1st, 2012 07:23 AM

Hmmmm. I brought S-Log at full price about 4 weeks ago. It has been on back order, so I still don't have it yet. I think I will have words with the dealer about a refund...

Chris Medico February 1st, 2012 09:39 AM

Yea, not good for those of us that paid full price.

Ryan Hollings February 1st, 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1712672)
Yea, not good for those of us that paid full price.

I am with you on that.. *grabs pitchfork and heads to Sony*

George Griswold February 1st, 2012 12:07 PM

Word is that the S-Log is $899, but you may have to send the camera into Sony. If that is true (and it is not confirmed) I wonder if the "remove" option is disabled. If someone removed it, then you wouldn't have a way to re-install. Let's see how this plays out. With the features on the C300 they should make S-Log and 50Mbps low cost or no cost. Refunds for previous purchases. Sony is bleeding money anyways, they ought to light a fire under the F3 before C300s saturate the market.

Nate Weaver February 1st, 2012 12:39 PM

I hope I get some money back. I was already very irked by the $3680, and now I'm doubly so.

Chris Medico February 1st, 2012 02:39 PM

You will have to send it in to Sony for the upgrade. No card is included. I'm happy for everyone that can take advantage of the lower price but p***ed that I paid full price for it. I am looking for the best way to express my dissatisfaction with Sony. And NO, a rebate on other Sony products that I don't need or want isn't going to make me feel any better about it.

From @CineAltaNews Peter Crithary on Twitter:
#F3, #PMWF3 owners that wish to purchase #SLog RGB444 option $899.00 call #Sony service & book it NJ 201-833-5300 or LA 323-352-5000

Nate Weaver February 1st, 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1712731)
I am looking for the best way to express my dissatisfaction with Sony. And NO, a rebate on other Sony products that I don't need or want isn't going to make me feel any better about it.

You took the words out of my mouth. $2000 is about my threshold these days for "not a big deal" in camera gear land, and the S-Log upgrade crossed that line by a fair margin. I essentially paid a $2700 premium to use it on 3 jobs since I bought it in September, that's $900 per job.

And to repeat, discounts on gear I don't want, let alone don't need is not going to make it better. If it was a discount on ANY Sony gear, I might be ok. But I already bought that 17" OLED monitor too.

David C. Williams February 1st, 2012 04:11 PM

I keep seeing (USA Only) in relation to this. It looks like yet another painful Sony market segmentation exercise for us in Australia. We never get these promotions extended down here.

So here I am, having just paid over $4000AU, and now having been waiting a month for it on back order and not even having it yet, I see it offered to US users for around 80% less.

Thanks Sony :(

Jerry Porter February 1st, 2012 05:34 PM

I was just about to pull the trigger on a F3. This would have sent me over the edge. I love my EX3, but an almost 3K mistake would have been major. Sony needs to make this right.