DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Big announcement coming for PMWF3??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/504918-big-announcement-coming-pmwf3.html)

Steve Kimmel January 31st, 2012 09:18 PM

Big announcement coming for PMWF3???

Just saw this tweet from CineAltaNews. Any idea what's up?

https://twitter.com/#!/CineAltaNews/...18234102562817

Peter G. Johnson February 1st, 2012 12:41 AM

Re: Big announcement coming for PMWF3???

I know! (but it's my own conspiracy theory.) After reviewing the feedback of suggestions for 1.4 firmware, Sony will release 'optional' $$$$ software allowing 4:2:2 and 50Mbps straight out of the camera.

Alister Chapman February 1st, 2012 03:15 AM

My guess: Free S-Log 4:2:2 Output.

Peter Corbett February 1st, 2012 03:28 AM

That would be great for me, but jeez, if you paid four grand for it... :(

Peter G. Johnson February 1st, 2012 04:39 AM

Free s-log would make sense, although it would only demonstrate Sony's concerns over the Canon C300, which comes with its own log. A big announcement should be something that the Canon can't match.

Tony Partamian February 1st, 2012 06:57 AM

Well it is the S-Log for FREE.

Actually it's for 899$, but as it comes on a 32GB SxS card (worth 899$)
it's actually for free now.

David C. Williams February 1st, 2012 07:23 AM

Hmmmm. I brought S-Log at full price about 4 weeks ago. It has been on back order, so I still don't have it yet. I think I will have words with the dealer about a refund...

Chris Medico February 1st, 2012 09:39 AM

Yea, not good for those of us that paid full price.

Ryan Hollings February 1st, 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1712672)
Yea, not good for those of us that paid full price.

I am with you on that.. *grabs pitchfork and heads to Sony*

George Griswold February 1st, 2012 12:07 PM

Word is that the S-Log is $899, but you may have to send the camera into Sony. If that is true (and it is not confirmed) I wonder if the "remove" option is disabled. If someone removed it, then you wouldn't have a way to re-install. Let's see how this plays out. With the features on the C300 they should make S-Log and 50Mbps low cost or no cost. Refunds for previous purchases. Sony is bleeding money anyways, they ought to light a fire under the F3 before C300s saturate the market.

Nate Weaver February 1st, 2012 12:39 PM

I hope I get some money back. I was already very irked by the $3680, and now I'm doubly so.

Chris Medico February 1st, 2012 02:39 PM

You will have to send it in to Sony for the upgrade. No card is included. I'm happy for everyone that can take advantage of the lower price but p***ed that I paid full price for it. I am looking for the best way to express my dissatisfaction with Sony. And NO, a rebate on other Sony products that I don't need or want isn't going to make me feel any better about it.

From @CineAltaNews Peter Crithary on Twitter:
#F3, #PMWF3 owners that wish to purchase #SLog RGB444 option $899.00 call #Sony service & book it NJ 201-833-5300 or LA 323-352-5000

Nate Weaver February 1st, 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1712731)
I am looking for the best way to express my dissatisfaction with Sony. And NO, a rebate on other Sony products that I don't need or want isn't going to make me feel any better about it.

You took the words out of my mouth. $2000 is about my threshold these days for "not a big deal" in camera gear land, and the S-Log upgrade crossed that line by a fair margin. I essentially paid a $2700 premium to use it on 3 jobs since I bought it in September, that's $900 per job.

And to repeat, discounts on gear I don't want, let alone don't need is not going to make it better. If it was a discount on ANY Sony gear, I might be ok. But I already bought that 17" OLED monitor too.

David C. Williams February 1st, 2012 04:11 PM

I keep seeing (USA Only) in relation to this. It looks like yet another painful Sony market segmentation exercise for us in Australia. We never get these promotions extended down here.

So here I am, having just paid over $4000AU, and now having been waiting a month for it on back order and not even having it yet, I see it offered to US users for around 80% less.

Thanks Sony :(

Jerry Porter February 1st, 2012 05:34 PM

I was just about to pull the trigger on a F3. This would have sent me over the edge. I love my EX3, but an almost 3K mistake would have been major. Sony needs to make this right.

Klaas van Urk February 1st, 2012 05:47 PM

First they let US citizens pay 25 percent less then Europeans and on top of that they give you SLog. Sony seems not to be aware that over here we join forums too. In the Netherlands the average price point for a PMW-F3L is 14000 euro's (ex VAT). You paid that same amount in... ouch... dollars. Let's hope they make it a free download over here.

Ryan Hollings February 1st, 2012 08:49 PM

I have voiced my dis-pleasure to my rep, not sure what that is going to do.

I certainly don't want money off future sony products, thats for sure.. argh.

Peter G. Johnson February 1st, 2012 11:30 PM

Here is a fair deal for Sony to consider. Anyone who has already dished out approximately $3700 for s-log should be offered a 50% discount on either one of the new PL mount lens for the F3.

Sony send instructions to the retailers (eg.) Abel Cine, B&H to make the offer to past recorded purchasers of the CBK-RGB01 and then you have a few months in which to take up the offer.

That is a fair and honest deal, creates good customer relations, encourages people to buy Sony in future........

Nnnnoooo, loyalty counts for very little these days.

Nick Hiltgen February 1st, 2012 11:49 PM

Wow I've never been so happy to be a late adopter. I guess I have to figure out a way to get rid of the SxS card afterwards but that's still pretty sweet. From what I've been reading (has sony confirmed any of this?) people who bought early will get 2500 bucks towards the SR-R1 deck or one of the sony Servo lenses.

I literally was getting the urge and wanted to pay off a couple of bills before purchasing this, now I'm thankful that I did. Can't wait to start playing with my mini Alexa.

Peter G. Johnson February 2nd, 2012 02:16 AM

I just had a read of the CineAlta News on Twitter. Man, that peeves me big time. So there is a discount for the wide angle zoom lens, but only around 33%.

Clever marketing, but quite deceitful none the less.

David C. Williams February 2nd, 2012 04:26 AM

Videocraft kindly refunded my as yet after a month backordered S-Log purchase. Hopefully Sony Australia comes through with this deal soon too. I could fly to LA and back, getting S-Log installed, for half the price I'd pay here now.

Peter G. Johnson February 2nd, 2012 04:55 AM

David, how much was the CBK-RGB01 from Videocraft, in Australian dollars? Last year I was quoted a price near $4000, so I chose Creative Media in the UK at around 20% less.

Hope your work with Conspiracy 365 is successful locally.

David C. Williams February 2nd, 2012 06:13 AM

$4065AU inc GST. Buying local can be critical sometimes, despite the premium, if issues occur. Local warranty and service cuts down time significantly.

Conspiracy was a bit of a nightmare six months :) No fault of the crew or the F3...

George Griswold February 3rd, 2012 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Directly from a Sony Rep.

Leonard Levy February 3rd, 2012 02:46 PM

"While supplies last" is an interesting ringer in that announcement. To me this sounds like they are not intending to continue supporting the F3 on some level. Probably implies a new version "F4" with sLog included and perhaps 422 50Mb recording? perhaps 4K? Perhaps decent EVF? It would likely be at a similar price point if dropping the F3. It sure as hell would be nice to know before dropping another $1000.

Chris Medico February 3rd, 2012 02:51 PM

I think it implies they are going to start including s-log from the factory. The real question will be if the price of the camera will move up $1k to cover it.

Its not likely the F3 will be updated till its in the market for 24-36 months.

Leonard Levy February 3rd, 2012 03:23 PM

Lots of rumors about an F4 but that may not mean anything at all.

Doug Jensen February 3rd, 2012 05:12 PM

When there's a new camera, it's not going to be called an F4. The number 4 is bad luck in Japanese culture and Sony won't use if for a camera model. An F5 or F3R is more likely.

David Heath February 3rd, 2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1713132)
.....perhaps 422 50Mb recording?

Be nice wouldn't it? And not too difficult to do - and a good answer to the C300.
Quote:

perhaps 4K?
Far less likely. It would mean a completely new chip, and that's a big deal, let alone codec, recording etc implications. The F3 chip has dimensions which suit 1080 video well after deBayering - but is of no use for 4k.

At 1080 the differences between the C300 and the F3 aren't that great in quality respects, the difference is that the C300 chip is also suitable for 4k in the future - the F3 chip isn't.

David C. Williams February 3rd, 2012 06:29 PM

It's a long stretch to say the C300 sensor is suitable for 4K? Even RED with a higher pixel density can barely resolve a real 3K in their faux 4K. I dare say the F65 is the only S35 sensor around that could hit a real 4K.

George Griswold February 4th, 2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1713157)
When there's a new camera, it's not going to be called an F4. The number 4 is bad luck in Japanese culture and Sony won't use if for a camera model. An F5 or F3R is more likely.

I am waiting for the F7.

Doug Jensen February 4th, 2012 01:16 PM

Oh ya, well then I'm going to wait for the F9!

Ron Wilk February 4th, 2012 02:11 PM

After investing $3680 for the S-Log upgrade only weeks ago, you might say that I was royally upset when the price reduction announcement appeared. I understand that most F3 owners will not likely take advantage of the rebate offers, but I had been debating the pros and cons of the 14x zoom. Considering that the ultimate rebate equates to the rough equivalent of the original S-Log upgrade price, I decided to purchase one ... not sorry I did. Despite its maximum and iris ramping aperture issues, the lens is very sharp (sharper than my Nikon 80-200 ED 2.8, and 17-35 ED 2.8) and contrasty. I haven't had much opportunity to put it through the hurdles yet—have only had it for 24hrs and the outside weather is nasty—but I have made some indoor tests with available light and have not been disappointed. The auto features have their place and will come in handy, particularly for a one man show with a monopod. The Steady cam feature is a nice addition as well. As lenses go, once you subtract the currently available rebates, it's really a bargain. Will post again once the rain stops.

David Heath February 4th, 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1713178)
It's a long stretch to say the C300 sensor is suitable for 4K?

For a Bayer sensor you should be able to get luminance resolution of about 80% of the sensor dimensions after deBayering. So it's true enough that the "4k" that the C300 sensor should give won't be as good as what would be expected from a 3 4k chip design, or a 5k deBayered and downscaled design.

But what will be the case is that the difference between it's current use for 1080p and using it deBayered with 4k recording is likely to be significant and worthwhile - of the order of 60% on each axis. For the F3 chip, 1080 recording is capturing as much as it's capable of.

Simon Thewlis February 4th, 2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1713320)
I have made some indoor tests with available light and have not been disappointed. The auto features have their place and will come in handy,

Hi Ron, its interesting to get your feedback on the zoom lens as I haven't read many comments from people who have used it.

Am interested to hear a little more about how low light performance with the zoom compares for example with that of an EX1/3. (Obviously different cameras with different purposes but most of us are familiar with how the EX1/3s perform in low light so a reasonable reference point.)

Also be interested in any more feedback you may have on the auto focus.

Many thanks.

Steve Kimmel February 4th, 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1713320)
After investing $3680 for the S-Log upgrade only weeks ago, you might say that I was royally upset when the price reduction announcement appeared. I understand that most F3 owners will not likely take advantage of the rebate offers, but I had been debating the pros and cons of the 14x zoom. Considering that the ultimate rebate equates to the rough equivalent of the original S-Log upgrade price, I decided to purchase one ... not sorry I did. Despite its maximum and iris ramping aperture issues, the lens is very sharp (sharper than my Nikon 80-200 ED 2.8, and 17-35 ED 2.8) and contrasty. I haven't had much opportunity to put it through the hurdles yet—have only had it for 24hrs and the outside weather is nasty—but I have made some indoor tests with available light and have not been disappointed. The auto features have their place and will come in handy, particularly for a one man show with a monopod. The Steady cam feature is a nice addition as well. As lenses go, once you subtract the currently available rebates, it's really a bargain. Will post again once the rain stops.

Have you seen an official announcement from Sony on the 14x Zoom rebate? On their rebate page, I can't seem to find it.

David C. Williams February 4th, 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 1713321)
For a Bayer sensor you should be able to get luminance resolution of about 80% of the sensor dimensions after deBayering. So it's true enough that the "4k" that the C300 sensor should give won't be as good as what would be expected from a 3 4k chip design, or a 5k deBayered and downscaled design.

But what will be the case is that the difference between it's current use for 1080p and using it deBayered with 4k recording is likely to be significant and worthwhile - of the order of 60% on each axis. For the F3 chip, 1080 recording is capturing as much as it's capable of.

You "might" get close to 3K in ideal circumstances, pointing it at a res chart that doesn't move. More likely 2.5K in general use. Plonking that into a 4K bucket just increases your data processing and storage overhead for no gain.

Ron Wilk February 4th, 2012 08:51 PM

Hi Steve,
There are actually two rebates that may nor may not apply to everyone. The first is a $1200 Loyalty Rebate and here is the link: Current Promotions
The second is a $2500 rebate that is mentioned on the B&H website but has yet to appear on the Sony rebate site. I'm assuming that Sony has yet to add that to their site. If your purchase conditions apply, I've been assured that they are stackable for a total of $3700.00.

Hi Simon,
You are correct. There are very few reviews of the 14x Zoom, however, what little I did read was encouraging, so much so, that I bought one.
In regards to its autofocus, it works reasonably well. I have only had the lens since yesterday and it's been raining here in S Florida. Therefore, all of my testing has been indoors with available—incandescent or natural—lighting. The autofocus is not lightening fast—but fast enough—under these circumstances and very accurate (no hunting and no visible breathing). I will reserve any further comments in this regard until I've had some time with it outdoors. The IS does what it's supposed to do and is welcomed feature.

As for light sensitivity as compared to the standard lens on an EX1/3, not sure a direct comparison can be made, given the inherent sensitivity of the F3 and the Zoom's variable lens speed. At first glance, however, one would assume that its t3.9-6.8 limitations would make it much slower than the EX1/3. However, since the F3—especially with S-Log engaged—is inherently more light sensitive than those two reference cams, it seems to serve as a mitigating factor. And since I no longer own either (did have an EX3) I am unable to make a direct comparison. That said, I think we can assume that in typical "low light" conditions this lens would not be my first choice, but at this point I'm only guessing. More than 90% of what I record is outdoors and would not benefit from shallow DOF, making this lens a good choice for my all around carry. But if the situation demands a faster lens it's easy enough to remove it and hang one of my Nikons or Zeiss primes.

Steve Kimmel February 4th, 2012 08:55 PM

Thanks Ron. I look forward to your footage and comments on the new lens,

Simon Thewlis February 5th, 2012 04:32 AM

Thanks Ron. Really helpful feedback.