DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Carry On with F3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/505287-carry-f3.html)

George Griswold February 15th, 2012 07:53 PM

Carry On with F3

I have a big PortaBrace cordura case that I use when I drive to a shoots with my F3. I may have to fly to a shoot at the end of the month. What are you using to carry on a F3 when flying? I am planning to take a Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 zoom for a few interviews. The Zeiss CPs are staying at home. I have standard PortaBrace camera bags made for ENG camera that I could use. Lens can travel un-attached which would make the rig shorter. Ideas?

Nate Weaver February 15th, 2012 09:55 PM

Re: Carry On with F3

Cinebags CB-30 is working for me.

Andrew Stone February 15th, 2012 10:25 PM

Someone a while back mentioned this travel bag linked below. You will note there is an international version of it as well.

Airport Security? V 2.0 Roller Camera Bag - Think Tank

Ron Aerts February 16th, 2012 02:22 AM

Flying? As handbaggage softcase is ok, will be getting hard to stay under cabinweight. Standard baggage: always use pelicases with foam interior.

Thierry Humeau February 16th, 2012 09:49 AM

I like the Lowepro 250AW. Works great with DSLR kits and you can fit in a disassembled F3 with a few lenses and accessories. I also carry a standard laptop bag that slides over the handle and sits on the case, very handy to stroll through airports and hotels.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826273-REG/Lowepro_LP36399_PAM_Pro_Roller_Elite_250AW.html

Michael Carmine February 16th, 2012 11:06 AM

I am using the Pelican 1510 as carry-on for F3 and lens. No problems. The case has been to Hawaii Big Island, Maui,Costa Rica Liberia, San Diego, Burbank, Miami, Palm Beach, both New York airports all carry-on. TSA is not fun for other reasons. Check though your extra batteries and tripod, lights. Make sure to bring one battery to start the camera for TSA. I also have a press pass which sometimes helps or hurts I am never sure.

Bill Ward February 17th, 2012 08:41 AM

Just a reminder: technically, you are NOT supposed to check your batteries, if they are lithium ion.

They may buzz thru just fine, you may also arrive at your destination to find that the helpful TSA folks have decided to deny your batteries a boarding pass.

Nick G. Smith February 17th, 2012 10:42 AM

Re. Batteries, I was under the impression that you could carry on Lithium batteries if they are under 100 watt hours although airport security can and will make their own rules...

https://www.paguk.com/sites/default/...TransLiIon.pdf

Michael Carmine February 17th, 2012 11:41 AM

I have not had problems checking 2 of the sony bpu-60 batteries yet. But I guess I was lucky. Next week I will spread the batteries to the assistant for carry-on. I have had stuff stolen from checked baggage at Kennedy Airport NY- beware if the bags are late from the oversized area - check contents before you leave. I caught a guy taking my light case in SanJose Costa Rica. The guards stopped him when he did not have the baggage claim. There never is a guard at JFK NY to stop someone.

Dave Sperling February 17th, 2012 04:46 PM

I've been happy with the Kata Fly-By 76. One of my friends bought one for his F3, and after I saw his setup I went out and bought one of my own. Because the cart is external (the bag slips over it) you don't have those internal ridges to deal with. Separate out the cart before placing the bag in overhead. I change up the dividers a bit depending on what I need for a specific job, but typically fit the F3, a few lenses, batteries, cards, Nexto Drive and a 7" monitor easily. For one job reconfigured to carry the F3, 3 Nikon zooms and an EX1. Since it looks like any standard business-traveler carry-on, it doesn't get much attention.

On the batteries front, have had more issues with batteries internationally, particularly travelling in China, though one time changing planes in Tokyo they pulled me off to ask about my Hytrons in luggage as well!

Andrew Stone February 17th, 2012 06:04 PM

90 watt hour lithium-ions are fine for air travel.

Anton Bauer which has been the film industry standard for batteries for a long time shows on their website which batts are kosher for US air travel and which are not. Currently in their Dionic (lithium ion) series, the HCX may be restricted and their Dionic 140 is restricted but the others are fine including the newish Dionic HC. The Dionic 90 is A-OK.

Anton/Bauer - Products - DIONIC HC

A/B has datasheets on the respective pages for each of the batteries relating to air travel restrictions (or not)

Ian Planchon February 18th, 2012 09:43 PM

I use the Cinebags CB-25a, but only because I need a bag I can wear on my back, and strap a tripod to as well (for ski shoots). I just got into Durango, CO today and had to take the camera out of the bag for both legs of my flight. I just put the camera under the seat in front of me. I do bring all my Lithium Ions in the carry on, which was fun to watch as TSA watched the bag go through the x-ray (a lot of batteries).