New Optical Port for F3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Optical Port for F3?

The news is that Sony F3 cameras are to be slightly modified in design. The optical port will be better sealed in all further units that come off the assembly line to combat the problems with dust. This I learnt through a Sony technician after having my camera serviced. If that's correct it adds another advantage (including the cheaper s-log) to anyone who hasn't bought in yet. I find this cold comfort. My Sony experience has not been a happy one.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Optical Port for F3?

Mine is getting one installed now under warranty.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Mine lands in Sony service today I'll see if I can get the sealed optical port under warranty as well.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Major Player

David, you are referring to a Sony modification/fix for the dust seal for the optical block?

If this is in fact the case that Sony is going to be doing this under warranty for existing F3 owners, it would be good to have a part # or some piece of information that we can use with our local Sony service centers. It would be much appreciated.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Major Player

It's being done in part as a result of dust and also an issue with the dual link board which has been acting up. Apparently a new dual link board design is out too, and requires other parts replaced too as they are not interchangeable with the current designs.

It will include the updated optical block which are not yet in full production apparently.

I get it back in a few weeks, I might know more by then.
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi David

where did you get your f3 fix in Melbourne?

I will have the camera next week, should I get it fix right away after buying?

cheers
Koravik Rakpetchmanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'd like to know too, as David and I both took our cameras to the same place. They're only aware, but not actually doing it yet.

Mine came back last week. It's alright, but within a couple of days there was dust again on the back of the optical filter. You can't see it on a computer screen, but when plugged into a large television, there it is again. I'll be first in line for an optical system. Did you know that the whole thing has to be replaced; sensor, ND filters and the housing around it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta