PMW-F3 Firmware v1.4 to include S-Log in PP. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 15th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Inner Circle

PMW-F3 Firmware v1.4 to include S-Log in PP.

Just a quick note from NAB that firmware version 1.4 for the PMW-F3 will include S-Log as a selectable gamma curve within the picture profiles. This will be a free update, due out some time before the end of June (it’s in beta now, the F3′s at NAB have it installed). S-Log will function in all F3′s whether you have the CBK-RGB option or not. However if you don’t have the RGB option you will not get any Look Up Tables, no EI-Slog and no 4:4:4 output, only 4:2:2.
This is a fantastic addition and by having S-Log as a gamma curve within the picture profiles you will be able to tailor many of the setting such as white balance, matrix and detail to suit the shooting condition.

Last edited by Alister Chapman; April 15th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-F3 Firmware v1.4 to include S-Log in PP.

So let me restate what I think I am hearing Alister. Essentially the operator will get, once installed with firmware 1.4, S-Log with no look up tables and with 10 bit 422 output.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just as I was feeling smug at getting the CBK-RGB01 upgrade at just £575 from Sony UK!

(However, I do think it's a good way of keeping this camera competitive in the current market)
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes Andrew that is correct according to the information I have.

No LUT's, No EI S-Log, No 444, No RGB. But you will have the ability to choose S-Log as a gamma curve within a picture profile.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Yes Andrew that is correct according to the information I have.

No LUT's, No EI S-Log, No 444, No RGB. But you will have the ability to choose S-Log as a gamma curve within a picture profile.
So would it make any sense to buy Slog $899 if you are recording to 422?
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba View Post
So would it make any sense to buy Slog $899 if you are recording to 422?
Depends, right now I have the S-Log update, I believe with the LUT turned on I can't monitor a correct Zebra, Histogram or internal brightness level display as it pertains to S-Log, the Sony LUT or the LUT you set up will effect your exposure readings.

I also use S-Log 4:2:2 with my Ki Pro Mini, and monitor with an external monitor using for now the HDMI out of the F3, seeing as the LUT effects my exposure readings and I can only see those readings on the F3 monitor, not my external VF and I need to go into the menu to turn LUT on and off I tent to keep LUT off.

I don't use the EI (exposure index) setting as of yet but have worked with it, as I said I shoot 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4 yet so other then I have an upcoming project that requires I use S-Log I would most likely have waited for the free S-Log gamma curve coming in June.

Also as Alister said the update will be in the Picture Profile menu which if permitted by Sony would make me want to set up a plain S-Log curve Picture Profile with no changes and set up another Picture Profile using the matrix, knee, gamma settings like a LUT to quickly show the client what it could look like.
Steve Cocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cocklin View Post
Depends, right now I have the S-Log update, I believe with the LUT turned on I can't monitor a correct Zebra, Histogram or internal brightness level display as it pertains to S-Log, the Sony LUT or the LUT you set up will effect your exposure readings.

I also use S-Log 4:2:2 with my Ki Pro Mini, and monitor with an external monitor using for now the HDMI out of the F3, seeing as the LUT effects my exposure readings and I can only see those readings on the F3 monitor, not my external VF and I need to go into the menu to turn LUT on and off I tent to keep LUT off.

I don't use the EI (exposure index) setting as of yet but have worked with it, as I said I shoot 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4 yet so other then I have an upcoming project that requires I use S-Log I would most likely have waited for the free S-Log gamma curve coming in June.

Also as Alister said the update will be in the Picture Profile menu which if permitted by Sony would make me want to set up a plain S-Log curve Picture Profile with no changes and set up another Picture Profile using the matrix, knee, gamma settings like a LUT to quickly show the client what it could look like.
If I had a job that required it right now I would have to either rent or buy also, but it is half the price to buy the Black Magic solution and with better LUTs.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba View Post
If I had a job that required it right now I would have to either rent or buy also, but it is half the price to buy the Black Magic solution and with better LUTs.
and 3D LUTs too
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
New Boot

Steve - you can assign LUT on/off to assign buttons - easier and quicker than going in to menu.
Nick G. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Sony's stemming the mindshare tide from their F3 product line/ecosystem just got more difficult...

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...mera/workflow/

The sensor specs on the Blackmagic cam are closer to the AF100 but the entire package/pricepoint is going to have a huge effect on the digital cinema camera industry. Read the material and listen to the hooting and hollering coming from the NAB floor.

I wonder if Sony knew about this camera when they made the decision to include a trimmed version of S-Log in the 1.4 firmware or if this has broadsided them the way it has NAB attendees?

Sony might have to get even more aggressive and up the ante again.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G. Smith View Post
Steve - you can assign LUT on/off to assign buttons - easier and quicker than going in to menu.
Thanks, I did go there before to find the S-Log Lut and didn't see it, I even made a request for Sony to add it to the assign button menu, missing stuff lately, must be getting old. Thanks again.
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Sony's stemming the mindshare tide from their F3 product line/ecosystem just got more difficult...

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...mera/workflow/

The sensor specs on the Blackmagic cam are closer to the AF100 but the entire package/pricepoint is going to have a huge effect on the digital cinema camera industry. Read the material and listen to the hooting and hollering coming from the NAB floor.

I wonder if Sony knew about this camera when they made the decision to include a trimmed version of S-Log in the 1.4 firmware or if this has broadsided them the way it has NAB attendees?

Sony might have to get even more aggressive and up the ante again.
Wow, I know we can't discuss this camera in the F3 forum but could someone let me know when they start one for this camera, thanks
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Trustee

Black magic is a 16mm size sensor so I don't think its competition yet. but pretty interesting no doubt.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Black magic is a 16mm size sensor so I don't think its competition yet. but pretty interesting no doubt.
It's actually a fair bit larger than S16mm Leonard. It's basically the same size as 4/3" with the active sensor area taking up a fraction less space.

Which sadly rules out using S16mm glass for most purposes.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Just announced on Twitter via Cinealtanews that F3 firmware version 1.4 is going through final QA process and is on track for release at the END of May.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta