The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
New Boot

The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick

I've had it for a week. A year ago, I rushed out and purchased the electronic viewfinder by Zacuto and now wish I'd waited. The Sony monitor hood does not have the look of yet another make-shift add-on, has a cleaner magnified image, and needs no batteries.

Well worth it.

Pieter de Vries ACS
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick

Thanks for the update. Good to know.
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes it's working really well here too. Main downer is the elevation won't go below horizontal. But you can work around it. I think it's well worth it.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's really interesting, Pieter. I remember when it first came out, the crowd over at the 'other forum' somewhat dismissed the device as just a simple magnifier, flimsy, overpriced (etc). One such quote here: "The loupe that pretends to be an EVF?"

So then, how would it compare with a Zacuto, TVLogic, Cineroid, Alphatron (etc) What do they do that the CBK-MH01 doesn't, because the price isn't that bad? ($600-$700)

Last edited by Peter G. Johnson; May 11th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G. Johnson View Post

So then, how would it compare with a Zacuto, TVLogic, Cineroid, Alphatron (etc) What do they do that the CBK-MH01 doesn't, because the price isn't that bad? ($600-$700)
You can put an EVF on the side of the camera and then do handheld work with it.

You can't effectively do that with this Sony attachment, the camera would be way too far out in front of you.

In other words, I need a proper EVF to do handheld comfortably, not block out the sun so much (but that's nice too).
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

can I use it with the Berkey top plate?
Koravik Rakpetchmanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm working on a review of it. And you cannot use it with the Berkey top plate.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #8
New Boot

It can mounted to the F3 with the Berkey Plate. You have to carefully punch out the Sony screws supplied with unit, it can then be mount under the plate with the Berkey screws. Both Peter Cortbett and I have been using it this way with the Berkey Plate. The monitor hood works really well and turns the LCD screen into an acceptable viewfinder ( not un like the EX3 ).
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Major Player

That's good to know about the Berkey plate. I couldn't figure it out so just removed the plate when testing.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brennan View Post
It can mounted to the F3 with the Berkey Plate. You have to carefully punch out the Sony screws supplied with unit, it can then be mount under the plate with the Berkey screws. The monitor hood works really well and turns the LCD screen into an acceptable viewfinder ( not un like the EX3 ).
Good to know it can be done by punching out the provided fasteners. To me it's a cost/benefit thing. Sony is charging over $600 for a snoot (closer to $700 last time I checked). I have an EX3 and recognize it is in fact almost identical to the EX3 diopter snoot. I adore the EX3 because of the EVF and the swivel mount it is attached to which the cam as close as you can get to an ENG/EFP camera without going there. But...

The F3 solution is too far back to be practical for many shooting situations and when you evaluate the ongoing purchases we have to make it is good business practice to buy things that we can use past the life cycle of our existing cams. The CBK-MH01 is extortionately priced, in my view, given it's function and actual manufacturing cost. I would rather put my money towards an EVF or a montior that I can use on different cameras.

If it works for some of you, all the power to you. I would like to have one as part of my kit bag but it should cost $150. Really it should.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Major Player

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. It's not perfect for every situation, but it certainly has simplified many setups. One less wire, battery and bracket and you know for sure that you're in record. Any advice on punching out the rivets would be appreciated as I too, use a Berkey plate
Attached Thumbnails
The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick-f3.jpg  
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G. Johnson View Post
That's really interesting, Pieter. I remember when it first came out, the crowd over at the 'other forum' somewhat dismissed the device as just a simple magnifier, flimsy, overpriced (etc). One such quote here: "The loupe that pretends to be an EVF?"

Yes Peter, it is a magnifier, but it magnifies very well, what is already a decent LCD panel. The CBK-MH01 allows me to use all the focus assist software in the F3 and Sony still does the best focus assist IMHO.

The best three things about it for me are, no batteries required, no batteries to charge, no batteries to add weight. I'm already running three different types of batteries and their chargers - my TVlogic monitor, my Samurai, my F3.
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi Chuck,
I used two sockets, one to support around the outside of the frame and a second that was the same size as the rivet and carefully tapped out the rivet. I don't think you could reverse the procedure, but I always use the Berkey Plate on my F3.
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Major Player

"I used two sockets, one to support around the outside of the frame and a second that was the same size as the rivet and carefully tapped out the rivet. I don't think you could reverse the procedure, but I always use the Berkey Plate on my F3."

Thanks Tony! I prefer using the Berkey plate. as well. I just wanted to make sure I liked the finder before making it non-returnable.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Here's some shots of the CBK-MH01, rivets removed, mounted under the Berkey cheeseplate.
Brian Berkey helped put together a basic handle that could also be swung forward if the lens and matte box mades the camera front heavy. You can also mount a monitor or anything else there when not in motion.
Attached Thumbnails
The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick-cdp_3994.jpg   The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick-cdp_3978.jpg  

The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick-cdp_3968.jpg   The CBK-MH01 LCD monitor hood does the trick-cdp_3988.jpg  

Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta