S-Log w/ 1.31 Firmware PDF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

S-Log w/ 1.31 Firmware PDF

I know I saw a PDF (think I did anyways) that outlined the options for the S-log with the new firmware. I have figured it out, but always like to have the roadmap just in case. Anyone know where I can find that document? The pamphlet that comes with the card is pretty useless. The manual for the F3 with S-Log included does not refer to S-Log. Thanks, George
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: S-Log w/ 1.31 Firmware PDF

Is this what you are looking for?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PMW-F3_1.31_ReleaseNote.pdf (350.0 KB, 541 views)
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Vortex Media

George, are you talking about the new firmware that puts an S-LOG gamma option in the Picture Profile's menus? I've been beta testing it and it works very well. I'm already working on some new PP settings to take advantage of it. When then new firmware is released soon, every F3 will instantly have an S-LOG option built into the camera.
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
George, are you talking about the new firmware that puts an S-LOG gamma option in the Picture Profile's menus? I've been beta testing it and it works very well. I'm already working on some new PP settings to take advantage of it. When then new firmware is released soon, every F3 will instantly have an S-LOG option built into the camera.
Hi Doug,
Does the update actually increases latitude as the card S-LOG does?
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Sure does. S-LOG is S-LOG.
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Major Player

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just another flat preset. I was ready to order the full S-LOG card for $899 to have it in by the time a customer request it.
Any idea when it will be released?
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Could be as early as this week. It has to pass QC at Sony USA before they will let it out. As usual, Canada will probably put it out there first. As far as I can tell the beta version is fine, so now that NAB is over it should be ready to go pretty soon.

Keep in mind that if you don't buy the CBK-RGB01 upgrade, then you won't have built-in LUTS or 444 output. Those things may make a difference to you, or they may not. Everyone's needs are different.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Trustee

Doug,
How do the LUTs work with the new software?
Is the LUT always based off whatever adjustments you've made to the SLog you're using?

Also what kind of changes can you make to the SLog file. All the typical picture profile adjustments?
Can you make it less radical- i,e something like C-log on the canon

I'd like to be able record one picture profile to the SxS card and another to the 4:2:2 SDI instead of recording a LUT, but I doubt that's feasable.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Griswold View Post
I know I saw a PDF (think I did anyways) that outlined the options for the S-log with the new firmware. I have figured it out, but always like to have the roadmap just in case. Anyone know where I can find that document? The pamphlet that comes with the card is pretty useless. The manual for the F3 with S-Log included does not refer to S-Log. Thanks, George
Sorry to still your thread George. I hope that I was able to upload the PDF that were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Could be as early as this week. It has to pass QC at Sony USA before they will let it out. As usual, Canada will probably put it out there first. As far as I can tell the beta version is fine, so now that NAB is over it should be ready to go pretty soon.

Keep in mind that if you don't buy the CBK-RGB01 upgrade, then you won't have built-in LUTS or 444 output. Those things may make a difference to you, or they may not. Everyone's needs are different.
I only owned the KiPro Mini so if I need 444 I would just rent the SLOG card and recorder. All I've heard of the LUT is that it's not that good anyway.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Major Player

No problem Douglas... that isn't the one I saw earlier.. I was looking for one that describes all the output options... maybe I was dreaming that they would actually document a feature set.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Major Player

How about this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PMW-F3_Supp_Manual.pdf (641.8 KB, 424 views)
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes, that's the one. Thanks Douglas!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Glad I could help.
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #14
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Doug,
How do the LUTs work with the new software?
Is the LUT always based off whatever adjustments you've made to the SLog you're using?

Also what kind of changes can you make to the SLog file. All the typical picture profile adjustments?
Can you make it less radical- i,e something like C-log on the canon

I'd like to be able record one picture profile to the SxS card and another to the 4:2:2 SDI instead of recording a LUT, but I doubt that's feasable.
1) With the "free" version of S-LOG that every F3 will have after the next firmware update, there are no LUTs. If you want a LUT to be generated within the camera, then you must purchase the CBK-RGB01 upgrade.

2) Yes, you can still use the other Picture Profile adjustments even when you have selected S-LOG as your gamma choice, but some of those other PP adjustments may not behave the same way you are used to. For example, at first I didn't think I would be able to use this new S-LOG option and still create a PP that would not require grading, but now I think that is possible. As of right now I have a PP that I like better than the one I have been using for the past 15 months. But I'm not done testing yet.

3) Without the CBK-RGB01 upgrade, the same signal will be recorded to the SxS cards and the SDI outputs. There's no way to make them different because there are no LUTs.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Trustee

I did buy Slog CBK-RGB01 upgrade - of course a few weeks before discovering it would soon be free so I do have LUT's available - Thanks Sony - at least I thought it was a great deal for a few weeks.

Was wondering how those LUTS function when you alter the Slog itself. Do the LUTS alter with it?
Wish I could alter the LUT and record Slog unaltered, that might be more valuable.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta