Using S-log day to day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Using S-log day to day

At first I thought that s-log would only benefit me on gigs that I could afford using a colorist, but I am finding uses for it on almost every project. Even though this is not the final color correction, I was delighted to be able to hold some detail in the fountain as compared to our usual REC 709 profiles. The 38% grey was quickly measured off a card using the camera's meter. Basic correction was done with Avid Medial Composer.
Attached Thumbnails
Using S-log day to day-screen-shot-2012-06-30-6.14.02-pm.png   Using S-log day to day-screen-shot-2012-06-30-6.14.20-pm.png  

Last edited by Chuck Fishbein; June 30th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using S-log day to day

I've found Slog to be good for most any lighting situation even the most ordinary interior shots. You get a lot more latitude (of course) so you can easily punch up the blacks and have a lot of subtle graduation in the flesh tones and highlights.

If you are going to perform even a primary correction/grade then you should use Slog in my view.

Hitting 38% on the greycard makes it dirt simple and it works.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Dang! are you shooting for warner bros?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Here is another comparison using s-log and cinegamma 1. Color correction was done within Avid MC.
The first image being s-log. Note how the bright highlights on the machine are holding. It doesn't work for everything, but I'm finding that many common issues can be helped using log.
Attached Thumbnails
Using S-log day to day-screen-shot-2012-07-09-9.15.37-pm.png   Using S-log day to day-screen-shot-2012-07-09-9.15.55-pm.png  

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Trustee

holy smokes at a first glance I thought it was watching a disney movie too !

Did you explain to Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny you were using a $15,000 video camera with SLOG? What did he/she say?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Bugs doesn't sign the checks. I'd be daffy to waste my breathe on him.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Chuck, thanks for posting this. My clients want to drag my footage into their timeline without correction. In my Varicam days I used FILM REC and made it so the clients could use the footage as-is.

Is there a way to use SLog that way? Or would Slog always require some correction in post?

thanks,

Tom
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

S-Log will require correction.

You do have the option to record using a LUT in camera which will look more normal if you have purchased the RGB output option.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Trustee

In my experience SLOG will always mostly need some correction, but the correction can be subtle. The lower contrast the scene the flatter the image in post. The higher contrast scenes are less flat and need less correction.

When I say more/less I mean the extent of a small s-curve using curves function. You could provide your client with a few basic curves and tell them to use one of them. All nle systems have this option these days.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta