Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old July 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod

So what tripod/head are people using with their F3? I'm looking to upgrade and I'm curious what you are using. I want something that will handle a fully geared up F3. I'm leaning toward a Sachtler 18 S1 and the Speed Lock CF Tripod. Mid or floor spreader?
Gregory De Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Tripod

O'Connor 1030
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Vortex Media

O'Connor 1030. Been going strong for 14 years and will last another 14 as the cameras come and go.
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Major Player

We used a Miller Compass 20 for our last F3 shoot, and were extremely pleased with the result. Highly recommended.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For efficience I use the Sachtler CF midspreader and SB12. Light, sturdy and quick to handle. Specifically chosen for these reasons.
However, I feel O'conner could beat this.

Just remember the tripod & head will probably outlive all your upcoming camera's. Don't try save money here. Go for the "Rolls Royce"
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Vinten 5AS or Vinten 100 with either carbon 3 stage legs or Fibertec legs. I tend house the 5AS when I'm travelling and the 100 when I'm home. Both cope very well, but I'd probably go for a Vinten 8AS as a single all rounder for the F3. My previous Vinten 5 was purchased in 1989 and I only replaced it last year.
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
O'Connor 1030
Couple additional notes:

O'Connor legs are only recently good, and only because they are the same as Sachtler legs now. IMO, O'Connor makes the best heads, Sachtler makes the best legs. But new O'Connor legs are fine.

In addition, new O'Connor heads, somehow, are not the same as what they used to build. My 10-12 year old 1030B (grey paint) has zero initial stiction, whereas a new 1030D seems to have a little. I do not know if this is a "fresh out of the factory, not broken in" issue, or a design/manufacturing issue.

I would say the finest midweight setup you could buy would be a barely used, grey paint 1030B or S, with late-model Sachtler legs. You'd likely save $1K-$2K off new retail as well.

A good test for any head you're considering is to mount a rifle scope to a quick release plate, and try a few heads while sighting down the scope. Minuscule differences in stiction will be painfully visible on the "long lens" of the rifle scope. I learned this trick from the head repair techs at Clairmont Camera, it's how they check out their own heads.
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm using a Sachtler 18II on Manfrotto CF legs. Also use a Vinten Vision 8.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta