B4 2/3" to E-mount for F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Trustee

B4 2/3" to Sony F3 mount

Is the MTF the least costly option for B4 to the Sony F3?

Last edited by Dennis Hingsberg; October 11th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: B4 2/3" to E-mount for F3

There aren't many options for that combination.

The F3 doesn't use Sony's E mount. The F3 uses what Sony is calling a F3 mount. MTF builds several adapters for the F3 mount. They are not cheap but the quality is excellent. I have MTF adapters for Canon FD and Nikon for the F3. I am very satisfied with both of them.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: B4 2/3" to Sony F3 mount

Sorry I meant B4 directly to F3 mount. Yes I am currently using an MTF Nikon to F3 adapter without any complaints. By the way since you have the Canon FD mount, does the MTF adapter engage the aperture arm on the lens or do you have to prop it engaged so the lens iris ring works properly? I recall a cheap Canon FD mount Cinevate use to make and you had to put a toothpick in the lens to prop the arm. It left a bad taste in my mouth ever since.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The MTF adapter for the FD lenses has the post to engage the IRIS release on the lens.

As long as you mount the lens with the correct procedure the iris functions normally.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I believe the MTF B4 to F3 adapter is the cheapest way to use a 2/3" B4 lens on an F3 by quite a large margin. The adapter was designed to be low cost from the outset as a way to allow people like myself to use lenses that might otherwise be gathering dust. Don't expect a 2/3" B4 lens (with any adapter) to perform the same as a dedicated PL mount zoom like the Cabrio or an Optimo. Nor will it perform like a 2x or 3x DSLR zoom or prime lens, these are much simpler lenses with a lot less glass so will generally have less flare and better contrast as a result. What using a B4 lens on an F3 does give you is that all round flexibility you get on a traditional ENG camera being able to zoom in and out through a massive range from very wide to very long with acceptable image quality and constant focus.
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've tried the Abakus, the Abelcine adapter, and the MTF.

While the first two have superior optics, they add a lot of weight to the front, and extend the front of the lens quite a bit. I chose the MTF adapter because of reduced weight, shorter length, and lower price. Please note, the 2/3" lens must have a 2X extender in order to work with the MTF adapter.

Cheers,

Tom
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Thomas,
Please can you tell something more about testing the Abakus and Abelcine adapter. I believe it is possible to use your B4 lens without using the extender. Witch one is better: The Abakus / Abelcine in combination with your B4 lens without using the extender of the MTF in combination with your B4 lens and using the extender? Thanks a lot.
the Netherlands
Marc Plomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I believe the Abel Cine is the better of the two and you are correct you don't need the extender with the Abekas or Abel Cine.
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you, Ik can't wait for a test with my 2/3 inch Canon HD 18x28 and the new F55. I hope this will give me a good contrast and sharpness on 4K
the Netherlands
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Trustee

Marc, if you plan to use your B4 2/3" lens on a 4k camera you can adapt your ENG lens physically using adapters without optics, and do the 1.5x magnification in post.

It is the same effect as doing it in the adapter except you will not lose the extra light loss or quality going through the additional magnifier built into the adapter. Not to mention it will probably cost less than the Abelcine or even MTF adapter.

So shooting 4k on a s35 sensor camera you will end up with something around 2k cropped with the 2x doubler engaged which you can crop to fit HD 1920x1080. Without the 2x doubler engaged you would end up with something more like 720p.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis, now I am working with an EX-3 with the canon HD18x28. I use this combination expecially for filming birds so for me this is the perfect solution (in HD), now I want to switch to 4K, so I hope I can use this lens for 4K telework and don't want to crop it back to 2K. I am looking for the best solution for this perfect lens on a s35 sensor (F55 for example).
the Netherlands
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes if you don't want to fuss around in post to re-magnify 2/3" lens x2.5 to fit super35mm frame then the Alister/MTF is a perfect choice.

Here is a video a fellow who just picked up the adapter recorded on his F3, absolutely beautiful but I wish to have seen some more powered zooms which would be my intention for using 2/3" lenses on my F3 or future 4k camera.

B4 lenses on the Sony PMW-F3 Editman Sweden – theeditman
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank you, Please let me known if there is a good demo-film from the Abakus or Abelcine adapter with a 2/3" lens (HD), I would like to see that one to compare with the MTF adapter.
the Netherlands
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The Abel Cine HDx35 with HJ18x28 was deemed acceptable quality by a BBC nature series 'Survivors' that has been trialling the Red Epic. But that's primarily for 2k TV production.

I don't think the MTF adaptor was around to compare with when they did pre-production tests, at least two yrs ago.

I haven't been in touch with anyone on that series since then.

Read Rolf's comments on the same setup but on Arri Alexa. some infos about the HD35 | rolf steinmann blog
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Trustee

Is it possible to use a -B4-to-EF- adapter with an EF-to-SonyF3 adapter?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta