Played with Demo Unit Yesterday at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 10th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Played with Demo Unit Yesterday

Associates of mine at the local Community College got a demo unit in. Unfortunately for them it didn't come with a lens. I have E mount lenses for my NEX EA50 so I brought them over. Lenses tested include:

Sony SELP18105G 18-105 Power Zoom. It exhibits the same pin cushion effect as with FS100 and 700
Sony SEL18200PZ18-200mm Power Zoom. Works fine, but has a crappy servo zoom.
Sony Sony SEL50F18 50mm prime. Worked perfectly.
Samyang 85mm. Worked perfectly.
Rokinon 12mm. Worked perfectly.

The demo unit's software was a bit buggy. It failed to format the card and we had to reboot to recover. Files from prior to the failed format were still on the card. Also it gave an error message at the start of recording. The aperture control was sluggish, requiring quite a lot of turns to move a stop in either direction.

Beautiful picture with the four lenses that worked, even at +18 db.
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Played with Demo Unit Yesterday

QUOTE: "Sony SELP18105G 18-105 Power Zoom. It exhibits the same pin cushion effect as with FS100 and 700"

This lens will work with the FS7 but you have to set the Distortion Compensation menu to Auto.

Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Old February 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I wish every single person that buys or rents this camera will watch Doug's training video. Such a time saver. Thank you Doug!
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Doug. I'll pass that on.
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
QUOTE: "Sony SELP18105G 18-105 Power Zoom. It exhibits the same pin cushion effect as with FS100 and 700"

This lens will work with the FS7 but you have to set the Distortion Compensation menu to Auto.

Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Hi Doug,

In another thread, you said FS7 correction doesn't work with this lens. In the light of your statement in this thread, may I safely buy the 18-105 and look for an acceptable picture geometry with setting DC to Auto? Any examples of the original (pre-compensation,with pincushion effect) vs. compensation at auto frames of the 18-105 zoom on the FS7, please?

Doug, I realize I've been a PITA on this subject for some time. But please bear it with me - I'm in a somewhat special situation now calling for not only cheap, but also lightweight and small zoom for the FS7 - and the SELP18-105 ticks all boxes perfectly :)

TIA,

Piotr
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Vortex Media

I don't recall ever saying that distortion compensation doesn't work with the FS7. You must have misunderstood whatever I posted or are taking comments out of context. Please provide a link to the post you are referring to so I can have a look.

So to be clear, Distortion Compensation works with the FS7 in most modes, but there are many configurations where it cannot be used. For example, your frame rate has to be 60 fps or less and you can't be shooting 4K or using MLUTs.

I have examples of Distortion Comepensation on/off in my FS7 Master Class, but I can't post them here.
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Photographer

I'm looking at buying two FS7 cameras. Finding Doug Jensen's in depth tutorial was very timely. Even if one isn't buying an FS7, the information in that tutorial is priceless!

Thanks Doug!!
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Major Player

I read a user review of the Lens at B&H and one reviewer said the " FS7 will only correct aberrations up to 1080p." Doug, have you found this to be true?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5