How much to compensate zebras on MLUT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How much to compensate zebras on MLUT

So in watching Doug Jensen's excellent tutorial on using the FS7, he said something that blew me away.

At first, he said when using Cine IE mode, to put white at 60 IRE in zebras (I had heard that before).

But then he warned that if you apply a MLUT to the viewfinder, the zebras will then respond to the MLUT picture and not the true recorded signal (good to know!). So he said to compensate by changing the zebra target, but he did not say to what value!

So if I use the standard REC709 MLUT in the viewfinder, what should the new zebra value I expose for be?

How would I find out on my own if no one had that answer handy?

Thank you for your help!
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: How much to compensate zebras on MLUT

Hi Brian,

Those are good questions. I originally intended to provide my recommended zebra settings for all of the built-in LUTs and Look Profiles in my FS7 Master Class (http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD_FS7.html) so people wouldn't have to figure it out themselves. But unfortunately I didn't have time to set up the charts and scopes to accurately test them all -- so that part of the video got the ax.

However, here is a page (literally) taken from my F55 book (http://www.vortexmedia.com/FIELD_GUIDES.html) that covers this topic. I have no reason to believe that the numbers for the F55 and FS7 wouldn't be identical - but be aware that I have not actually tested these settings myself on the FS7. Nevertheless, I hope this answers your questions and I'd have no qualms about using these figures if I used MLUTs.
Attached Thumbnails
How much to compensate zebras on MLUT-img_0240.jpg  
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response, Doug, and great job once again on your video.

Now, I assume the answer is yes but I have to ask: in the F55 book they are only labeled LUT 1-4/LOOK 1-4, etc, but in my FS7 I see sub names too. My LUT 1-4 is the same as a F55 LUT 1-4, right? I mean each number is in fact the same LUT on each camera (REC709, ARRI-LIKE, etc)?

Just checking....

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Yes, the LUTS and LOOK PROFILES have exactly the same names and are in the same order as on the F55. That names on that chart make more sense if you have seen the previous pages that lead up to it in the book. If I decide to update the F55 book I'll probably put the full names in another column of the chart just to make it more clear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5