speedbooster good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old July 14th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Major Player

speedbooster good?

anything to know about pitfalls, etc using MetaBones speedbooster with FS7 and canon lenses like 24-70mm and 70-200mm? And is speedbooster better to use than regular metabones adapter for canon lenses to FS7?

thanks
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: speedbooster good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
And is speedbooster better to use than regular metabones adapter for canon lenses to FS7?
The FS7 is already a Super 35mm sized sensor. Adding a Speedbooster is an attempt to gain a Full Frame/70mm look. Is that what you want? The downside is that, with certain lenses, you increase the chance of vignetting.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Canon 11-28mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 300mm and a 100mm lens is what I hope to use...just wondered why someone would choose speedbooster over regular. So will the image be sharper or is it over kill to get a 70mm look, not sure I understand...

I have used the regular metabones before just not the speedB
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You seem to have a lot of telephoto lenses. The Speedbooster will make them wider, going from a roughly 1.5-ish crop to 1.0.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

got it - thanks for info
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Aside from the fact that the speedbooster gives you some additional exposure, my feeling is that both have their use... In other words, if you have one you should really spend the extra money and have both.
Because the speed booster allows you to capture a wider image from the same lens (assuming the lens will cover full 35mm still frame) this basically adds lenses to your kit unless you already have every combination covered. Want to use your 70-200 for an interview but 70 is a little too tight for the wider framing? - put on the speedbooster to make it a bit wider! Then go back to the regular adapter for really telephoto shots.
If you rent a prime lens (that covers ful frame) then you essentially get two different lenses be either using the speedbooster or the regular adapter.
I don't know the 11-28 -- but my guess would be that anything that wide will be for S-size sensor and not be 'full frame' - hence not appropriate for speedbooster. Your other lenses should be good. Also, if you use a 16-35 you'll be amazed how wide it gets on the speedbooster!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks for detailed response very helpful
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5