DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Lenses for the FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/530510-lenses-fs5.html)

Lee Berger April 17th, 2016 04:13 PM

Re: Lenses for the FS5

Using the same Sigma Speedboster combo with great results. Also the Sigma 70-200 as well. F2.8 becomes F2

Alfred Okocha April 19th, 2016 03:21 AM

Has anybody tried this one with a speed booster? Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 COMPACT-SERVO

Andy Wilkinson April 19th, 2016 03:35 AM

"Has anybody tried this one with a speed booster? Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 COMPACT-SERVO"

It's a new lens, just announced and not yet available to buy/shipping later this year. It is designed for 35mm sensor cams with EF mount. It will NOT work with a Metabones Speedbooster as the image circle will be smaller than what the 35mm sensor size needs - think EXTREME vignetting with big black corners in the frame!

The "normal" Metabones Mark IV EF to Sony E-Mount should work but that is yet to be proved on a Sony cam such as FS7 or FS5 - but of course the FOV (Frame of View) range would remain the same as what's marked on the lens (18-80mm) and there will be no "F stop boost.

Alfred Okocha April 19th, 2016 04:10 AM

Thanks Andy!

Chad Johnson April 19th, 2016 09:41 AM

Speedboster Ultra / focal reducers only work with full frame glass on an apsc/super35 sensor. But the cheaper ones work.

Tom Gresham April 20th, 2016 10:19 AM

Well, we have a lot more experience, now, with the FS5 cameras. We still use the 18-105mm "kit" lenses a lot. But, when possible, we are using my still camera lenses quite a bit.

I have a shelf full of Nikon glass, but a few months ago I started buying Zeiss primes for my Nikon, and we are using them on the FS5 bodies and the FS700.

The kit lens is pretty darn good, but it can't hold a candle to the Zeiss glass.

So far we have the Zeiss 15, 21, 55 Otus, 100 macro, 135mm APO, 25mm Batis and 85mm Batis.

Not using a Speed Booster adapter. Just accepting the crop, for now. Last week we set up a quickie "talking head" interview in a plant. Put up two LED panels on stands, and had someone holding a "camera mount" LED light on the end of a monopod, to be the hair light. Shot it with the 135mm APO Zeiss. It's so crisp it looks like a green screen shot, though it wasn't.

Yes, the camera is important, but we all will buy a lot of cameras. Money put into good glass is an investment.

Eventually we'll probably look at PL lenses. Sigh.

Richard D. George April 20th, 2016 11:02 AM

Wooden Camera has an E mount to PL lenses adapter. That is what Jeff Berlin used to make a feature-length movie using Leica Summicron C lenses on a Sony A7R ii.