FS5- Matching to Canon C100 Wide DR Setting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 16th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Major Player

FS5- Matching to Canon C100 Wide DR Setting?

Hello All

I just got my FS5 a few weeks ago, done some testing, some less important shoots. I have a shoot on Friday , a talking head interview, where I'd normally shoot with a C100 with a Tamron 24-70 (great lens by the way) with the WideDR setting for a medium shot of the interviewee, along with 2 other cameras, one wide GH4 and one A7sII CU on a Kessler 2nd Shooter. I'm thinking of shooting in 4K so I can 'punch in' and get 2 angles instead of 1. Wondering if anybody out there has matched the C100's WideDR for dynamic range and color response yet with the FS5? Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

-Keith

TechMove is the Podcast all about Digital Filmmaking, Gear, Mac Computers, and iOS Devices from a Unique Perspective!
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS5- Matching to Canon C100 Wide DR Setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Hello All

I just got my FS5 a few weeks ago, done some testing, some less important shoots. I have a shoot on Friday , a talking head interview, where I'd normally shoot with a C100 with a Tamron 24-70 (great lens by the way) with the WideDR setting for a medium shot of the interviewee, along with 2 other cameras, one wide GH4 and one A7sII CU on a Kessler 2nd Shooter. I'm thinking of shooting in 4K so I can 'punch in' and get 2 angles instead of 1. Wondering if anybody out there has matched the C100's WideDR for dynamic range and color response yet with the FS5? Thanks for any advice!

Regards,

-Keith

TechMove is the Podcast all about Digital Filmmaking, Gear, Mac Computers, and iOS Devices from a Unique Perspective!
I've been having the same issue. The closest I can get so far (without modifying the profiles) is PP5. It is flatter than Wide DR but doesn't require much grading - just a quick tweak of the contrast and colours. It also has a lot more dynamic range the the standard profiles, and seems to be on par with Wide DR in that respect.

However if someone has managed to make a custom profile similar to Wide DR, that would be fantastic.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd love to revive this thread. I shot an on the day news piece yesterday with the FS5 for the first time. Normally I'd be using my C100.

I have to admit, colors out of the box with my Canon using slightly tweaked Wide DR much nicer than PP6 on the FS5. Crash editing to deadline didn't give me a chance to do anything aside from adjust blacks, mids and whites, which brought the images to life .... but not quite as much as I'd like.

Anyone played around with the PP6 profile at all?

Aside from the colors, the camera was great to use, despite my fumbling for buttons, etc. The stabilization on the kit lens is fantastic! Much better than my 17-55 canon away (and humbles the 24-105L). And the face detection came in handy while walking backwards filming an interview with a protester marching down a road.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hallo Dave Mercer

In hi iso is bether C100 or FS5..ex at 6400 iso is big diference ?I sold my C100 to buy FS for Weddig video..to boy FS5 or C100 mark II ?

Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
Anyone played around with the PP6 profile at all?
PP6 clips at 100%, and you don't want that limitation in today's world of digital delivery.
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Doug.

My pieces go out on TV and internet.

If there's a quick turnaround, what PP would you recommend?
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Anyone shooting a chart like the x-rite colorchecker? I would think that is the best way to match cameras from different manufacturers. It would give you a bit more freedom in choosing a picture profile (so long as they're somewhat similar to begin with).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Anyone shooting a chart like the x-rite colorchecker? I would think that is the best way to match cameras from different manufacturers. It would give you a bit more freedom in choosing a picture profile (so long as they're somewhat similar to begin with).
I do not have the X-Rite, but these have been very helpful.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817209-REG/DGK_Color_Tools_DKCPRO_DKC_Pro_Multifunction_Color_Chart.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/877490-REG/Vocas_0400_0009_Backfocus_Chart_and_White.html
I dont own a C100 but last summer shot a bunch of event stuff with two other people that used Canon (c100 or C300 can't remember) and we found that changing the COLOR MODE of the FS700 to STILL or STANDARD and making sure we always set WB from cards made matching them pretty easy.

I dont own a Canon so I am just going through random clips I have on my computer and trying to shoot similar stuff with my FS5, but I like CINE1 gamma and STILL color mode -4 saturation outside in the sun for a "similar feel" need to tweak in post to match contrast but thats a 2 minute job. hardly scientific but worth poking around in the COLOR MODE of the PP's in FS5
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Ray. Very helpful. I'm going to play a bit this week.

Any suggestions for low-light profiles?
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey guys!

Exactly what I'm trying to do right now. Match the FS5 with my existing c100s on Wide DR.
Will keep an aye on this thread.

Thanks!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5