DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   EX1 to FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/530926-ex1-fs5.html)

Jeremy Cole January 21st, 2016 07:09 PM

Re: EX1 to FS5

Was out on a shoot today, a shoot I where I would typically take my EX1r. It did just fine. I used the kit lens and a 12mm f2 Rokinon WA, which was great. The FS5 is so light and so easy to keep rock steady. Focus is a pain with the 18-105, so I used the push focus when I had to and even ran in auto when necessary. I am still working out the work flow with AVID MC, however, transcoding is time consuming. Using Edit Ready for that.

Glen Vandermolen January 22nd, 2016 12:29 PM

Well, I just ordered an FS5. We'll see how it goes.

Jim Stamos January 24th, 2016 10:02 PM

Glen what are u shooting with now?

Marcus Durham January 25th, 2016 01:51 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. Ordered my FS5 with stock lens today. I'll still have the good old EX1 around to help the transition.

I guess I'll have to think about all the accessories. I see people spend serious money and get very excited about adding all sorts of rigs to their camera. Hopefully people on here will be able to point out what the essential bits of kit are for those transitioning over.

I am kicking myself that I long ago sold my LANC controller. All impressions were that Sony had abandoned it. Yet it appears to be back back back on the FS5. Annoyed I sold it when I got rid of the Z1 as I loved the one I had!

Andy Wilkinson January 25th, 2016 03:59 PM

Congrats - it's (mostly, regarding its price point etc.) a great camera - despite the bad press ;-)

I'm with you - minimal kit/keep it small and simple! However, not long after I got mine I really pushed the boat out and bought one of these JCI Multi Interface Shoe adapters for the front shoe.

(Of course, if you have the latest Sony wireless microphone kit you may not need it).

JJC MSA-MIS Cold Mount Adapter Converter for Sony Multi: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Fits perfectly (i.e. securely) and allows me to use the shoe as I'd want.

My AT875R is a good (yet very well priced) short shotgun mic for the FS5 too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495302-REG/Audio_Technica_AT875R_AT875_Short_Condenser_Shotgun.html

Glen Vandermolen January 25th, 2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1907536)
Glen what are u shooting with now?

PMW-300 and an HC-X1000. I suppose I'll sell both of them.

Marcus Durham January 25th, 2016 04:55 PM

Cheers. Cold shoe mount ordered. Will be interested if I can hook a second radio mic receiver onto the hand grip like I do with my EX1.

Jeremy Cole January 27th, 2016 06:14 PM

So I need to get this off my chest: As an EX1r user, which I still own and use, I miss the speed of the focal length change I can with it, in comparison to the FS5. The 18-105 kit lens is clunky at best. The user's manual says I can feather the zoom speed. That is is not true with the 18-105; there is one speed and that is it. If I put it into manual mode, it is unpredictable to use; god awful to use. Optically, it is not bad, but as a zoom user, forget it. I don't have the funds to buy a true cinema zoom lens, so I am stuck with still camera lenses. I like the ergonomics and the slow-mo capability. Slow-mo is terrific. To do a fast pan and let slow-mo slow down the pan and smooth it out is terrific, but I don't like having to change lenses all the time.

Marcus Durham January 28th, 2016 07:35 AM

Well it all arrived. Complete with a 3 inch nail through the box! Thankfully it missed the camera body and everything else.

Seems I have had to do half of Sony's assembly process for them including putting in the 4 tiny screws for the hot shoe. Dropped them but thankfully recovered them!

A separate charger and a PSU? Not sure why! With the EX1 you just got the charger.

Meanwhile they couldn't be bothered to put a camera strap in with a 5 grand camera! Anyone got a recommendation for a good strap? Have requisitioned the Canon strap I was using on my VG10 but obviously it looks a bit odd.

One of the SD cards has trouble ejecting the 64GB Sandisk Extreme cards I've purchased (genuine direct from Sandisk). Other cards I have around are fine though so I'm guessing its the new cards rather than the slot.

Hate the screen already. How are you lot folding it away for travel? I've mounted mine up front. Wish it just flipped away like the EX1 or Z1. Have visions of it getting smashed in transit. I also find the cable that leads to it annoying (I like a clutter free camera which I can operate by touch at the back of a dark conference hall).

But those are all minor niggles that I will have to get over (and I hope the images more than make up for them).

Marcus Durham January 28th, 2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Cole (Post 1907756)
So I need to get this off my chest: As an EX1r user, which I still own and use, I miss the speed of the focal length change I can with it, in comparison to the FS5. The 18-105 kit lens is clunky at best.

Yes. Although it does seem to be able to feather, it's actually worse at it than the original EX1 was (IIRC fixed for the EX1R). EX1 owners will know what a crapshoot it is trying to get a smooth zoom. Sometimes you can feather it fine, sometimes it will do a jerk and then start moving. One of those things you learn to live with.

Only played with the FS5 briefly. The lens does feel very "domestic". No nice action to the zoom. Kind of mechanics you get on a camcorder. Hope something affordable and nicer becomes available.

That said I think the future for people like us to own a fixed lens camera like an EX1 for more general work, and a FS5 or similar for more filmic stuff where you get the time to compose shots and where you wouldn't use zooms during shots anyway.

David Peterson January 28th, 2016 10:48 AM

If you don't need the S35 sensor of the FS5, and your clients are not demanding anything else specifically just yet. And you're coming from the small sensor EX1, and want to stick with Sony, perhaps consider picking up a Sony X70? (or AX100, same sensor as the X70)

It is a much bigger sensor in the X70 than in the EX1! But could be much more your run and gun camcorder style of an EX1 than an FS5 is.

You could still pick up a Sony A5100 with a Sony 18-105mm f/4 for dirt cheap, as a way to play about with S35 DoF and do some B roll with it. (this has been my favourite combo last season for grabbing shots at weddings! :-D The person I work for though uses an EX1 at weddings, but she recently got a Panasonic GH4 and loves it)

Jack Zhang February 1st, 2016 08:49 PM

I'm not going to go for the X70 just yet cause I know there's going to be a 4K version of the NX100 coming soon, maybe at NAB.

Now get this, remember how you were able to copy individual clips with XDCAM EX? You CAN'T do that in camera with the FS5. What if you have no access to a PC in the field? Your field DIT will be infuriated if he finds this out to copy clips out for a client card.

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 09:01 PM

Perhaps a cheap PC should be part of the standard equipment package if off-loading is anticipated. I've been carrying one for years in the van just for such instances. I wouldn't want to use the camera even if I could.

Jack Zhang February 1st, 2016 09:19 PM

Not buying it, dude. Not buying it. I expect some features to just be there for the price tag of $6000.

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 09:36 PM

Just the opposite is true. The higher the price, the less need there is for silly consumer-oriented features on the camera. I don't know anybody, nobody, that uses a camera to copy clips.