EX1 to FS5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:59 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: EX1 to FS5

Really? It's a consumer feature? /sarcasm

I find it so useful for backup functions on my EX1R. And now I just found out they removed it from the rest of the Sony lineup of current as well...

It's the software division probably saying "Catalyst Browse is so good! Let's cripple the cameras to rely on Catalyst!" and I bet you that's what happened. It's like the DC IN placement on the PMW-200.

I'd appreciate some manual control over my files which doesn't 100% rely on Catalyst...

Remember, Sony made the MEAD-SD02 as a BACKUP adapter to backup footage, and now you can't even do that on the F5 and F55.

I'm getting a Nexto DI if I'm upgrading cameras. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 1st, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:56 AM   #32
Vortex Media

There's no reason that you have to use Catalyst for simple backups. You can just drag and drop the entire contents of an SD, QXD, SxS, AXSM, card to a hard drive using the finder of the computer. Or use a program such as ShotPut Pro (as I do) to make multiple backups simultaneously.

As was discussed on another thread, Catalyst is good if you want to mix individual clips from different cards or review clips or see metatdata, but it's not needed for backing up whole cards. And besides that, Catalyst is 100% free so what's the problem anyway? I don't see what the big issue is. I'll bet that the computer would copy a card in 1/4 the time a camera would take. But that's just a guess.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:25 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I just use the Mac's Finder for copying and backups. Works great! Never thought about using Catalyst and I have never used the camera for that function...why would I want to? It is so much easier to take the cards out of the camera and copy them. Why would I want a big clunky camera sitting on my desk with its AC, etc just to copy and back up files. Makes no sense to me
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:00 AM   #34
Major Player

Since a scare with using Finder copying with the EX1 some years ago, I stuck with XDCAM transfer for the benefit of the CRC checking as it copies. Now I've got the FS5 I've purchased Red Giants Offload as it also offers an extra level of checking.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:09 AM   #35
Inner Circle

If Sony's going to be like this, I'm getting a Nexto DI. Like 2 people have mentioned, you don't NEED Catalyst, but fine clip management which was originally a feature being stripped away is just not justifiable. Forcing a different workflow doesn't do anything to gain trust with people that have been using one method fine for years.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:26 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
There's no reason that you have to use Catalyst for simple backups. You can just drag and drop the entire contents of an SD, QXD, SxS, AXSM, card to a hard drive using the finder of the computer. Or use a program such as ShotPut Pro (as I do) to make multiple backups simultaneously.

As was discussed on another thread, Catalyst is good if you want to mix individual clips from different cards or review clips or see metatdata, but it's not needed for backing up whole cards. And besides that, Catalyst is 100% free so what's the problem anyway? I don't see what the big issue is. I'll bet that the computer would copy a card in 1/4 the time a camera would take. But that's just a guess.
Hi Doug.
Ever since buying your training DVD on the EX3 I have been using Sony Content Browser for backing up SxS cards. Never missed a clip. I am using a Sonnet SxS card reader with Thunderbolt and I am able to offload my cards quite fast.

May I ask what you are backing up to? Do you have any experience with the Sony ODS 77 archival system? I am looking for a new backup system as my RAID is full.
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:55 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Have 2x EX1R & F5 at work - looking to replace EX1Rs - for conference and event/streaming work easy choice as the logical replacement is the PXW-X200, but am trying to gauge if FS5 will work with some compromises because they compact for travel and would be be great for b-roll and back-up for the F5 with adaptor + primes like we use on F5.

biggest issue I foresee is the reach:

X200 fixed fujinon = 29 - 500mm
vs
18-105G 35mm equivalent = 27 to 158mm or 316mm with clear zoom in HD

no private buyers putting the Sony 28-135G FS7 glass on it because is uneconomic or increased the size & weight substantially I guess. Occurs to me we could shoot 4k for post punch-in if we need it occasionally...looking to make sure the FS5 can still work as corporate/event cam when a fair way back in function room of 250 people etc.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #38
Vortex Media

Mark, my advice, for whatever it is worth, is to stick with the X200 or similar camera. What you are shooting is a poor match for the FS5.
Old February 4th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #39
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Hi Doug.
May I ask what you are backing up to? Do you have any experience with the Sony ODS 77 archival system? I am looking for a new backup system as my RAID is full.
ODA is too slow and clunky. Not to mention expensive.

I use Shotput pro to back up to naked internal drives that just go into a dock as needed. Like slices of bread in a toaster.

This dock uses Thunderbolt and can hold two drives.
Highpoint Technologies RocketStor 5212 Dual-Bay Storage Dock

I use a variety of drives like these:
Serial ATA Hard Drives up to 8.0TB SATA 3.0 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s for Desktop and Tower, Accessories and Controller Card options

Cheap and reliable since they have no fans, power supply, etc.

Then the drives are numbered on stored in color-coded Zipo cases that cost about $3 each.
Mukii ZIO-P010-GY 3.5" HDD Protector, Grey Color - Newegg.com
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Mark, my advice, for whatever it is worth, is to stick with the X200 or similar camera. What you are shooting is a poor match for the FS5.
I might have overplayed the event/livestreams. We also do a lot of talking heads and interview plus external facing scenario promo and informational work which uses Zeiss primes on the F5. Problem is a real mix of work. But yes, used to the 20X HVR-Z5P and 14X? EX1R reach.

But even for fairly run of the mill job (interior of office for building refirb) the EX1R were no good because not wide enough - in the absence of small factor detachable camera at work I elected to fly with my own Nikon dslr with 14mm and 18-35mm to get the interior shots. Cross country with F5 primes just not practical for day trip for this job as it was only building interiors (no talent).

For this and general travel the FS5 would be perfect light weight. It would also be ideal for Steadycam pilot and One Man Crew whereas F5 iis too heavy of the former and a little big for the latter (but goes).

Last edited by Mark Joseph; February 4th, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #41
Major Player

I recently got the FS5 after 6 years with a pair of EX1s. I got the kit lens, and a nice Sigma 24-105mm f/4. With Metabones Speedbooster Ultra EF to E mount the crop factor is .7, and using the Sigma 25-105mm f/4 lens I get an effective range of 17-73mm, and with Clear Image Zoom I get 17-146mm. And the lens gains a stop making it a constant f/2.8 because of the speed booster.

That's not quite the range if the EX1's lens, but it's not too bad. My kit lens does feather smoothly, which my EX1 did not at first. As for the balance, that Sigma is 2 lbs, and the FS5 is still well balanced with the BP60 battery. Very heavy though. Best used on sticks. I think it's good to get the kit 18-105 even if you won't use it a lot. It's something to help sell the camera later when we upgrade.
Old February 6th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #42
Major Player

Are u finding it easy to get a good solid focus with the 18 105?
The ex1r I get a very good quick manual focus
It holds well
I've heard mixed results with the 18 105
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
ODA is too slow and clunky. Not to mention expensive.

I use Shotput pro to back up to naked internal drives that just go into a dock as needed. Like slices of bread in a toaster.

This dock uses Thunderbolt and can hold two drives.
Highpoint Technologies RocketStor 5212 Dual-Bay Storage Dock

I use a variety of drives like these:
Serial ATA Hard Drives up to 8.0TB SATA 3.0 6Gb/s, 3Gb/s, 1.5Gb/s for Desktop and Tower, Accessories and Controller Card options

Cheap and reliable since they have no fans, power supply, etc.

Then the drives are numbered on stored in color-coded Zipo cases that cost about $3 each.
Mukii ZIO-P010-GY 3.5" HDD Protector, Grey Color - Newegg.com
Thanks Doug.
What a coincidence. You are actually backing up your clips the same way I do. I also have a similar docking station, HDDs and plastic cases alongside my Raid system. My local dealer has advised against it, because HDDs are prone to fail at some point. Hence me looking at the Sony. It is expensive, that is for sure. I have always thought highly of your advice and recommendations so this has made me rethink my purchase at this point.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Joseph View Post
Have 2x EX1R & F5 at work - looking to replace EX1Rs - for conference and event/streaming work easy choice as the logical replacement is the PXW-X200, but am trying to gauge if FS5 will work with some compromises because they compact for travel and would be be great for b-roll and back-up for the F5 with adaptor + primes like we use on F5.

biggest issue I foresee is the reach:

X200 fixed fujinon = 29 - 500mm
vs
18-105G 35mm equivalent = 27 to 158mm or 316mm with clear zoom in HD

no private buyers putting the Sony 28-135G FS7 glass on it because is uneconomic or increased the size & weight substantially I guess. Occurs to me we could shoot 4k for post punch-in if we need it occasionally...looking to make sure the FS5 can still work as corporate/event cam when a fair way back in function room of 250 people etc.
Hi Mark.

There is another option which I find to work quite well. The Selp 18200 power zoom lens by Sony. I used to shoot live events with a Sony FS700 and Selp18200 power zoom lens. I thought it was a good combination. Still is, but the lens ramps down as you zoom in, so if the location you are shooting in is very dim you could be in trouble. I have been there and done that. Nothing we could not work round since it was a multiple camera shoot. However if the location is lit well and you don`t care too much about deep DOF you should be OK. But be aware of those limitations. I am using my current Sony A7s with the power zoom lens Selp18200 and I find it a fantastic combination for run and gun work, but the batteries are a let down. I still regret selling my EX1R for those kind of shoots you mention. I think the X200 is a great choice or perhaps better the DVX 200 by Panasonic.

This is a test I shot for the leading broadcasting magazine in Scandinavia showcasing the Sony A7s and Selp 18200 lens if you are interested. SRS Media : Test av Sony A7s
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #45
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
Thanks Doug.
What a coincidence. You are actually backing up your clips the same way I do. I also have a similar docking station, HDDs and plastic cases alongside my Raid system. My local dealer has advised against it, because HDDs are prone to fail at some point. Hence me looking at the Sony. It is expensive, that is for sure. I have always thought highly of your advice and recommendations so this has made me rethink my purchase at this point.
Yes, HDD's will fail at some point and that is why I have two copies of everything on two different HDDs. I backup in pairs. Not only have I never had one of the naked drives fail (and I have over 70 of them), I can't imagine ever losing both copies at the same time.

If you are on a Mac an essential piece of software to have is called Disk Catalog Maker. I number all my drives and I know exactly what is on each one of them even when they are on the shelf. It's easy to do searches for specific footage, etc. Cataloging a drive is just as simple as dragging the icon onto the program and everything from there is automatic.

DiskCatalogMaker

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5