Sony FS5 vs Sony A7SII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 26th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony FS5 vs Sony A7SII

I am in a dilemma :-) for fil wedding is bether Sony FS5 or A7SII ? it is clear that in dim light A7SII It is the winner.From reasons pro FS5 is safe, shooting on two cards..the only thing that bothers me to FS5 is low light performance :-(
but still think that if you use a lens opening 1.8 18-35 sigma is ok on 6400 ISO,I have no where to rent and see them both,if you can help me with some reviews, tests.
It is a difference of money but it's not a problem :-) and I hope that Sony has to solve problems to FS5,
Do not know if a7sII,Do not know if a7sii,in 4k have the problem with sensor warms.

Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FS5 vs Sony A7SII

I have seen several users report the a7s has issues with correctly displaying certain led lights used by the DJ, especially blue, as these light are becoming more commonly used it's something worth considering.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Trustee

The blue light clipping problem on the A7s is a very real issue. I shot a show in SLOG-2 that was jam packed with blue clipping and nasty halo problems.

However! They seemed to have fixed it in the A7S-II. There seems to be a very big difference on how the Mark II handles color. The problem is not completely gone but I'd say that it been reduced to only 10% of what it used to be.

Oh...and by the way. Turning picture profiles completely off removes the problem entirely on both A7s models.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

same dillema here... can not deside !
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i buy fs5 :-)
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Trustee

You might want to wait for NAB. There are rumors that Sony could bust out with a full frame camcorder. Could we see a future "PXW-FS1" with an A7s-II sensor?

Interesting....
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Get both! One camera is never enough anyway. That being said, with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra you gain 1 stop of light (twice as bright). And with fast Canon lenses your low light noisiness will be somewhat mitigated.
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

Yes the short answer is buy both.

They are completely different cameras.

The A7s cams are just a smaller DSLR with all the ergonomic problems they entail, but smaller lighter and fantastic in low light. Needs cage etc to function well for video. No Pro audio.

The FS5 is a real video camera with fantastic ND built in, very sensible video cam switches and buttons, very easy to use, if you are used to a "real" video camera. Fine to go w/o additional kit. And balanced audio input.

Both will do the same job, but IMHO the general shooting quality is far superior in the FS5 until you go low light, then the A7s is better, but the FS5 is still quite good at low light.

I have both, and I use the FS5 much more often. The only time I use the A7s is in very low light and if I need stills as well, though the Canon 5DmkII is better at stills.
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Vortex Media

+1
All true.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Major Player

I owned Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 6D full-frame cameras with many L lenses. Neither are better than my Sony a7R ii for stills. Not even close. I also like stills from my A7S.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Currently going thru the same decision process. When it comes to low-light, if you go too low looks unnatural. I started carrying a small aputure 4x6 led panel on a light stand. Helps things without being to annoying, when place near DJ hardly noticeably. Creates a nice rim lighting effect of people dancing.

Other things to consider which my help:

Sony A7S II compared to - Sony FS5
battery less than an hour - BP-U90 up to 4 hours
Need variable ND - built-in variable ND
Mic only input - XLR inputs
Smaller ergonomics, few buttons - Better ergonomics, flexibility, more buttons
Continous 120fps recording - buffered recording with end trigger at higher frame rates
Xavc S slower codec on editing systems - Xavc L more support and cleaner codec
Single SD card slot - Dual SD cards slots
Full frame, increased rolling shutter, better lowlight - Super 35mm, less rolling shutter, center crop to get more zoom.

Hope the helps.

Cheers!
Old April 17th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Trustee

I see it this way:

A7s-II: Rolling shutter argument aside, if you are willing to suffer the A7s-II's ergonomic and time limit deficiencies, you could easily match the image quality that the FS5 could give you on just about any shot.

FS5: This camera's ergonomics are WONDERFUL. However, in low light conditions, the FS5 will NOT be able to match the image quality that an A7s-II could deliver. (I see my A7s-II out resolving my FS5 by a slight amount. It does oversample it's UHD while the FS5 is only a 1:1 pixel readout)

As far as the "end result" image quality is concerned, with a little inconvenience, the A7s-II CAN be an FS5.but the FS5 CANT be an A7s-II no mater how good it's ergonomics are. Again, I'm throwing out the ergonomics discussion and yes, that not fair.

I have always said that when you deliver a project and people love your video. When it's finished, nobody cares about how much you had to jump through DSLR hoops in the field when you shot it.

If it looks beautiful in the end, than it's mission accomplished.

CT

Last edited by Cliff Totten; April 17th, 2016 at 06:04 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5