FS5 - Cut/Paste Clips from One Card to Another - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 4th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: FS5 - Cut/Paste Clips from One Card to Another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
If you're reading this and thinking "What a mess this guy runs..." That's my Asperger's. I'm terrible at communicating through negotiation, advertising skills, and cold calling. I excel at the actual skill of camera operating though.
The communications thing isn't that big of a deal, Jack. You've mentioned the Asperger's thing before, and it really helps me understand you. I still can't comprehend the need to worry about stuff that just doesn't matter, but I probably don't understand Asperger's like you do, and I'm sorry if I'm a jerk to you sometimes over something that you can't control.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Why is that? I have been transferring data from sd cards to a pc every since I got my first dslr, a 550d, from windows xp up to windows 7 without a problem.
Windows 10. MS is trying to ram it down everyone's throat. First with the aggressive and excessively nagging adware they installed with Windows Update, now they're disqualifying Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for ALL security updates on all new Intel, AMD, and ARM processors.

Microsoft won't support many Skylake PCs without Windows 10 | InfoWorld

Enterprises aren't even ready, and now you're disqualifying all new PCs with new processors from getting legacy OSes with proper security patches? That was the final nail in the coffin. I'm moving to Mac, a Hackintosh, or Linux.

----

Mike, that's the absolutely right response to someone having said issues. I'm glad you said that. (and this is not sarcasm. I wish more people were understanding like that)

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 5th, 2016 at 03:30 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:06 AM   #33
Vortex Media

I actually dislike Catalyst and wish Sony had kept developing Content Browser. But with that said, Catalyst works very well as a viewer and utility to copy individual clips when I need to do those things. But other than those two uses, I have no need for all the other things it tries to do.

And as I said before -- YOU DO NOT EVEN NEED CATALYST -- if you just want to backup cards.
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Windows 10. MS is trying to ram it down everyone's throat.
I"m still on win 7 pro with my editing software, I have not updated the OS in months, don't need to as it's not connected to the internet and it works like a charm, I installed win 10 pro on my wifes pc (mainly with photo software) some weeks back and beside the fact that some thing work differently and take time getting used to she has had no issues either so far. You don't hear me complain.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Noa, you still have risk connecting other people's flash drives if you run Windows, even if you're offline. I adopted Steve Gibson's TNO computer security strategy and always transfer files in a Linux Live CD sandbox if I have no clue what viruses they may have picked up on their thumb drives. The Nexto also doesn't have major vulnerabilities for device based copying. That's going to be my first copy/sandbox once I purchase a new Sony camera.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 6th, 2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old February 6th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Noa, you still have risk connecting other people's flash drives if you run Windows, even if you're offline.
I have a image from my OS with macrium reflect from my entire system that is virus free, if I would end up with a virus that came with a file that I got from a client I can get a virus free system within 15 minutes. Instead of only looking at possible problems I look for easy solutions and it works for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:01 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Okay, that's thinking ahead Noa, I can commend you for that. I personally stick to Live CD sessions of Linux, since only CDs and DVDs can be trusted as a read only piece of media. You can always flip the bit on a USB key or SD card so that it's write capable again even if you set the whole drive or card to read only.

Since I'm out in the field or it's difficult to get permission for use of others' computers (and it breaks the TNO strategy), I need the Nexto.
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #38
Major Player

I recently went out to a remote location with several cameras, including the FS7, and my plan was to dump my XQD cards to my laptop. I misunderstood the "recording times" for S&Q mode though, and instead of getting 135 minutes per 128GB card, I only got 22 minutes. That's a problem when you only have two cards. So, I plugged the laptop into my AC power inverter in the car and started copying the card to an external HDD. Took some 13 minutes. Turns out 135 minutes is the playback time, in slow motion. Anyways, lessons learned. Ordered two more cards, the NEXTO NSB 25 and ten 1TB WD Red bare HDDs. Should arrive within a couple of days. Hopefully this problem will be solved.

I didn't like the laptop solution; using it in my car with adapters plugged into it. Just seemed too fragile. It's great if I'm in a hotel. With only 22 minutes recording time per card, I think the NEXTO is better than investing in a bunch more cards.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159870-REG/nexto_di_nsb_25_xqd_storage_bridge_nsb_25_modular.html

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #39
Inner Circle

See, that's what I'm talking about where sometimes a laptop isn't the best for field copying. If you bump the USB cable just the slightest, your footage copy can go south. I'm glad you went the Nexto route. If you use a SWIT battery or V-mount batteries, you can power the Nexto with a D-tap.
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
I guess this is yet another generational gap where we're now facing the prospect of media prices finally being cheap enough to store on a shelf rather than you have to re-use it each time. (At least for SD cards)

I came from the days when P2 and SxS was ridiculously expensive, and you didn't have many P2 or SxS cards because they were ridiculously expensive...................
LOL, don't make it sound like you've seen the dinosaurs walk the earth. ;-)
It's not that long ago. (Or am I in denial of my age? ;-) )
It is not about generations, it about adapting to the new situation. Noa got the FS5, FS5 uses relatively cheap SD cards. So his proposed workflow works in that situation. And you argue it can't while you secretly swapped the FS5 for the FS7.
While other think you are also talking about bananas, you already are discussing oranges without saying so.

Quote:
................Freelancers are always underpaid..............
Quote:
Freelancers usually don't have the money after initial investment, but have tons of time...............
That is your believe system.
Some people say life is a mirror and it will show you what you believe.
In my situation what you say is certainly not true: I get paid fairly and I hardly have any time to do everything. (At the moment 3 training videos, 2 corporate interviews and a short promo in post, a crowdfunding video campain in preproduction.)

Relax, Jack. We got the point you are trying to make.
Go do yoga. I always helps me to relax, focus and let go of tension, anger and negative believes.
As soon as you believe you are not supposed to be underpaid, you will find yourself in a situation you will negotiate better.

Quote:
If you're reading this and thinking "What a mess this guy runs..." That's my Asperger's. I'm terrible at communicating through negotiation, advertising skills, and cold calling. I excel at the actual skill of camera operating though.
Use your strong points: go make something incredible that will help sell your skills.
Negotiating is easier when the prospects has seen something they really want.

PS.
Yeah sometimes features disappear while we liked them... c'est la vie.
It's ok to let the manufacturer know you miss it, but there is no need for so much emotions.

Last edited by Walter Brokx; February 8th, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Walter Brokx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
No way to do that on board the camera, but it is really easy to do with Catalyst Browse.
I haven't been able to copy clips over from one card to another. I'm using the camera as a deck (don't have a card reader with space for 2 cards ... nor do I have 2 card readers) and the cards appear to be read only when I check them in finder.

Inside Catalyst I can choose the files I want to copy, choose the folder on the second card where I want them, but cannot then copy them across as "the folder is not writable."

Surely this is a dunce moment for me ... any tips gratefully accepted.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Copy both whole cards to your HDD twice (once for camera original and once for working in Catalyst) and work with the 2nd copy of your cards on your HDD in Catalyst.

Once you've gotten the clip from the first to the second in your HDD's Catalyst working copy folders, format the 2nd card in the camera, and write the contents (not the root of the entire folder) of the Catalyst modified card folder back to the card on a different card reader. (like the one built into your Macbook) OR use Catalyst to copy the clips back to the card you erased with that same card reader.

Sony shouldn't have modified the USB mass storage device to only allow the cards to be read, but if they did, you must copy them to a HDD first before working with Catalyst. (which is a good safeguard, but defeats the purpose of using it as a "deck" which can write back.)

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 15th, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #43
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
I haven't been able to copy clips over from one card to another. I'm using the camera as a deck (don't have a card reader with space for 2 cards ... nor do I have 2 card readers) and the cards appear to be read only when I check them in finder.

Inside Catalyst I can choose the files I want to copy, choose the folder on the second card where I want them, but cannot then copy them across as "the folder is not writable."

Surely this is a dunce moment for me ... any tips gratefully accepted.
Why use the camera as a deck???? That is one of the most short sighted things you can do. You are unnecessarily putting wear and tear on the camera. It is slower than card readers. And it adds hours to the camera's meter, thus reducing the resale value. You can buy a couple of SD card readers (and a hub if necessary) for under $50 so why would anyone ever use the camera?

Buy another card reader . . . problem solved.
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #44
Major Player

Thank you both for your help!

I'm waiting for a speciality store to get some SDXC card readers in stock so I can have two ... Guatemala ain't the USA I'm afraid. No next day amazon delivery ...
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #45
Major Player

There are no moving parts.

But: the camera records the hours it was used, so using it as a deck is silly, since it indeed does lower the resale value: using the camera as deck will add maybe even up to 10% to the hours. (Besides that electronis do wear even without moving parts.)
(On top of that: I never liked using a camera as deck: too much hassle with cables and power. Plus: using a cardreader means you can copy footage while shooting :-).)

All I see is people disagreeing and offering different solutions to the same problem.

It is no math, so there can be more than 1 solution :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5