Confused over Nikon adapters for FS5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 15th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Confused over Nikon adapters for FS5

Nigel,

They make two kinds of adapters for the Nikon and neither of them offer electronic integration. I own both. There is not a third smart adapter for the Nikon mount. I just went on their website and saw that they have text with the Nikon adapter that does not go with it. If you examine the photos you will see that there are NO electronic contacts on the Nikon mounts. Go and demo one and you will see. Never found auto focus useful anyway with video cameras.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Jeremy. Their website certainly gives the wrong impression. So much so retailers like WEX are calling this adapter 'smart' when obviously it isn't.
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Major Player

My adaptor arrived today. Not tried it yet but the machining and quality appear far above the previous adaptor I used.

Not bothered about lack of autofocus and aperture control from the camera. I always shoot fully manual so can't see the benefit unless you had the thing on a drone or something. Last thing I want is the camera making decisions for me.
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #19
Major Player

My FS5 has turned up and I'm worried about attaching my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 mk1 to it by any sort of adapater. This 70-200 weighs circa 1.5kg and waiving that sort of bulk around on the end of an adapter is asking for trouble.

I realise the metabones (and others) have tripod mounts buit in to the collar, but that's still a lot of weight on either side of the adapter and of no use when going hand held.

The only thing I can think of is folks are holding the 70-200 in one hand and the FS5 in the other. But that will make swapping between focussing and zooming very hard to do with your lens supporting hand. So has anyone got another solution, eg using additional grip/bars supporting both underneath?
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
My FS5 has turned up and I'm worried about attaching my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 mk1 to it by any sort of adapater. This 70-200 weighs circa 1.5kg and waiving that sort of bulk around on the end of an adapter is asking for trouble.
I've been trying, and failing, to find any suggestion from Sony as to what the maximum unsupported weight should be for the FS5. But 1.5KG sounds like it would make the camera awfully front heavy.

You might need to look into a set of rails/support system. Been looking into it myself and it looks like a minefield!
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Marcus. If you do find any appropriate rails, please drop me a line? I'll also investigate possible solutions.
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Would something like this:

Gemtune Telephoto lens support for long big lens SUNWAYFOTO | eBay

or this work?

Telephoto Lens Support Long-focus Holder & 250mm Quick Release Plate For Tripod | eBay
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Will the Metabones speed booster work with Nikon DX (APS-C) lenses on a FS5? I realise it works with FX lenses but what about something like the Nikor 35mm f1.8 DX lens or even the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX ii?
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #25
Vortex Media

A DX lens is not a full frame lens, therefore it won't work with a speedbooster. However, you could use a non-speedbooster adapter with a DX lens (or FX lens) but then you won't get the benefits of wider angle and faster aperture. Do you really need a speedbooster with a f/1.8 lens anyway?
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #26
Major Player

I shoot in a lot of dimly lit churches so the extra stop, even on a f1.8, would be very welcome. However I was more interested in the Tokina 11-16mmm f2.8 though since I also shoot properties. Thus the 0.7 crop and extra stop would be huge benefit in that scenario. But I suspect there could be strong vignetting and distortion.
Old February 19th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #27
Major Player

Tokina 11-16 --
Not exactly an answer to your question, but may help provide an answer...

I don't have a speed booster, but I tried mounting my 11-16 onto my A7s in full frame mode.
When in movie mode (16:9 sensor area) vignetting starts just above 14mm on the lens,
In stills mode (full frame) vignetting starts at 15mm

So...
This presumably means that if you are really interested in that extra stop of exposure, you should be able to use a speedbooster, shoot at the 'long' end of the 11-16, end up with the equivalent of a usable 10.2 - 11.5 zoom at approx f/2
Just don't expect to be able to zoom out any further!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Dave. I decided to order the Speed booster since some of my Nikon lenses are FX, so there is still some value in it. The extra stop on the DX Tokina would be nice, particularly since I don't like to run it at f2.8 where it is noticeably softer.
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5