PXW-FS5 - New 1.11 firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 25th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Trustee

PXW-FS5 - New 1.11 firmware

Looks like Sony is about to answer the complaints that people are having about edge tearing and noise reduction.

For the FS5 owners here, before you upgrade, can you shoot "before" test shots with the current firmware and then upgrade and go back to shoot the exact same thing after the upgrade?

I'm sure we'd all love to see lot's of "before & after" footage so we can the analyze the improvement difference.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: PXW-FS5 - New 1.11 firmware

Dan Chung published a comparo in this article:
Sony issues fix for FS5 tearing and macro blocking with new firmware version v1.11
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

New firmware for broadcast and professional A/V equipment from Sony : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just updated mine. Took me a couple of minutes to find the USB socket on the cam as I've never used it before (it's inside the media card door, doh!). It took TWO attempts to get my cam talking to my Mac Pro trashcan so that it could check the current firmware version on the cam.

To state the obvious...Make sure you download and follow the correct instructions (Windows or Mac) as well as the correct Firmware version.

The whole process took about 12-15 minutes.

Some comments:

As it updates to V1.11, the progress bar seems to hang for a minute or two at the 100% completed mark - before the Finish button becomes clickable. Don't panic, just wait patiently.

The only thing that slightly threw me was right at the end, immediately after I'd clicked that Finish button.

The cam then rebooted and on the LCD screen it said "USB mass storage device" (or something similar again), along with the warning that you should NOT disconnect power supply or USB cable. I then tried following the next step in the Sony instructions (pressing Menu on the cam etc. to find and check the version number) but of course the screen just carried on displaying this USB warning message...I then got very slightly worried...I was not sure... so just left it for a while.

Then I realised it must have done all it's stuff and this is the same identical message that I got when I first connected the cam (near the start of the process). So I unmounted the cam from my desktop (drag the cams icon to the Trash). I then turned the cam off and then on again and pressed Menu etc. to check the firmware version ...and all seems to be as it should. Version 1.11 here we go!

Hope these few extra notes help someone!
Old February 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Trustee

I really think that Sony solved this problem in THE most optimal way!

1.) They listened to the user complaints.
2.) They publicly acknowledged that the recognized the complaints.
3.) They tested the problem and found it.
4.) They publicly acknowledged that they saw the problem.
5.) They declared they were going to solve it in February
6.) They worked lightning fast and solved it on time.
7.) They met with complainers to display the fix.
8.) They did everything in a PUBLIC and OPEN way!...wow!

I'm amazed at how fast they solved this thing. Two big issues resolved in a little over a month. This was an extremely impressive action from the FS5 team!

Sony please remember how this was done and copy this technique for any future problems. Bravo, excellent job.

At times, it was suggested by some that this was a "user error" issue or even something was attributed to being a "lack of understanding" or "unrealistic expectations" from an 8 bit color depth. As far as noise reduction goes, it was sometimes suggested that the artifacts were "par for the course" and something that was considered "normal" or "minor". I'm glad that Sony did not agree with these ideas.

Judging from the Cinema 5D before and after video, this new image processing on the FS5 is MUCH closer to what we were all expecting from this camera from day one. I think it finally meets the Sony Super 35, 8 bit standard image quality that we are accustomed too and expect.

Thank you Sony. Keep up this great work and PLEASE pass on this successful tactic to other departments and teams!

CT
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thank you Sony
So, are you finally going to buy the camera and start using it or rather go for a "I love Sony" tattoo? ;)

It's always nice to see manufacturers do listen and improve their camera rather then forcing a mark II upon their buyers with the requested improvements but we do need to be honest here though, what they did now with the fs5 is not general Sony practice, the fs5 is a bestseller and since sony is in it for the money and not to please their clients, they only will make these kind of changes to what actually sells. What doesn't sell, like the vg900, nex-ea50 etc would never get the same treatment and they end in a silent death, no matter how many users would ask for improvements or additions. It's clear Sony wants the fs5 to be what the c100 has been for several years and they obviously could not afford a false start.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
At times, it was suggested by some that this was a "user error" issue or even something was attributed to being a "lack of understanding" or "unrealistic expectations" from an 8 bit color depth. As far as noise reduction goes, it was sometimes suggested that the artifacts were "par for the course" and something that was considered "normal" or "minor". I'm glad that Sony did not agree with these ideas.

CT
I think the issue was that many people went crazy slamming the FS5, and absolutely 100% blamed the camera for user error issues as well (less here but way over the top on another forum) It was the same 5 guys who have zero interest in the camera that kept going on an on about things that just were not true or posting the same things again and again. It was almost impossible to get good information with all the fiction mixed in, and when you tried to help someone see the real issue and not the pilot error stuff you were called a "fan boy" or worse. I haven't been able to test the camera yet, but I am hoping its all solved.... I shoot daylight sports so I would not have noticed much if any of this without testing....my issue is/was actually purple blocks dancing around the specular highlights in slow motion (again really hope thats solved)
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lee View Post
It was the same 5 guys who have zero interest in the camera that kept going on an on about...
This was my issue. First, that the most vocal critics seemed to be people who didn't own the camera (who were parading about as if they owned the camera, and acting wounded as if Sony had come to their door and added macroblocking to their eyesight), and second, that this camera appeals to the, uh, low-end professional market - corporate videos, wedding videos, etc - and the issues, to that market, are hardly noticeable.

Not that it wasn't a problem, just that it was blown out of proportion (by people who it didn't effect to begin with).

My #1 problem with the camera is the oddball issue that you can't format a media card while using a 100% full battery. I battle this problem every single day. I'd have sooner seen them fix this problem than the macro-blocking.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So, are you finally going to buy the camera and start using it or rather go for a "I love Sony" tattoo? ;)

It's always nice to see manufacturers do listen and improve their camera rather then forcing a mark II upon their buyers with the requested improvements but we do need to be honest here though, what they did now with the fs5 is not general Sony practice, the fs5 is a bestseller and since sony is in it for the money and not to please their clients, they only will make these kind of changes to what actually sells. What doesn't sell, like the vg900, nex-ea50 etc would never get the same treatment and they end in a silent death, no matter how many users would ask for improvements or additions. It's clear Sony wants the fs5 to be what the c100 has been for several years and they obviously could not afford a false start.
Yeah, I'm adding the FS5 to my Sony collection, no doubt. I'm admittedly a total Sony tool. I'm a total sucker for every new camera they put out and the FS5 is no different.

You are too late on the Sony tattoo thing. I already have one. ;-)
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
This was my issue. First, that the most vocal critics seemed to be people who didn't own the camera (who were parading about as if they owned the camera, and acting wounded as if Sony had come to their door and added macroblocking to their eyesight), and second, that this camera appeals to the, uh, low-end professional market - corporate videos, wedding videos, etc - and the issues, to that market, are hardly noticeable.

Not that it wasn't a problem, just that it was blown out of proportion (by people who it didn't effect to begin with).
To be fair here IMO the macro blocking was very noticeable under certain conditions rather than hardly noticeable.

The first shoot I used the camera on 3 weeks ago I ended up shooting against some walls which were very solid colours (a mauve colour) and the macro blocking was quite evident on the solid colour. Nothing else set it off all day, just repeated shots in the same room and that wall. However I didn't make any fuss on here because the firmware update was coming. Also saying anything was only going to feed the trolls so to speak.

So I'm glad its fixed. But certainly when a problem rears its head in the first few hours of using a camera, I'd say that yes it was an issue and I'm quietly giving a sigh of relief it now appears to be fixed.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; February 27th, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Does the camera reset completely after the installation? Do we lose our PPs? (Do I need to copy them?)

Thanks.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, copy them as all settings default to "ex-Factory" type settings (i.e. you have to input time and date and then re-customise all the cams settings how you want them to be again).
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
My #1 problem with the camera is the oddball issue that you can't format a media card while using a 100% full battery. I battle this problem every single day. I'd have sooner seen them fix this problem than the macro-blocking.
Sounds like you are not using genuine Sony BP-U batteries. A few people are finding this out with aftermarket batteries. It seems going by feedback that the only aftermarket batteries so far that appear not to have any issues when at 100% charge appear to be the Jupio BP-U60 versions.

Jupio Batteries & Chargers | Power to the World

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Major Player

The benefit of computers with lenses is that things can be fixed later.
The downsize of computers with lenses is that things can be fixed later.

:-p

I'm glad Sony did take it serious.

What are the plans for firmware 2.0?

I'd like to be able to use 2 zebras at the same time.
And give (short) names to the clips.
Old February 28th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Sounds like you are not using genuine Sony BP-U batteries. A few people are finding this out with aftermarket batteries. It seems going by feedback that the only aftermarket batteries so far that appear not to have any issues when at 100% charge appear to be the Jupio BP-U60 versions.

Jupio Batteries & Chargers | Power to the World

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
I'm using a Pro-X XP-L75UD without any issues.
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5