FS5 kit lens focus issue in manual - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old March 11th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: FS5 kit lens focus issue in manual

I saw that someone asked Sony about this and Sony replied to him that it would be fixed end of March in a firmware update. Grain of salt of course.
Old March 11th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Sony is certainly in a great mood these days, they never displayed this kind of goodwill in the past.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #18
Major Player

I think they are perfectly aware the camera was shipped in an unfinished state. Let's face it, it has a GPS logo printed on the handle and there is no support for that as yet!

Like buying a car with 4x4 on the tailgate and then being told the support will be added at a later date.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #19
Major Player

April 18
I'll b right in front of them face to face to ask
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:25 AM   #20
Major Player

I really hope Sony do something about this soon. On my next run-n-gun job I'll probably have to use one of my other cameras. If that goes on long enough I'll start wondering what is the point of keeping the FS5. Particularly if something better comes out in the next year.
Old March 12th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Major Player

If the kit lens doesn't do what you want it to do, use a different lens. That's the whole point of a camera with interchangeable lenses.
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #22
Major Player

What would you recommend for run-n-gun Marcus?
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
What would you recommend for run-n-gun Marcus?
You'd have to ask someone who's got a few more hours with E-Mount glass. This camera is not an ENG style camera so you're never going to be 100% happy I expect.

Haven't shot in anger since I did the firmware update. However just took the camera and stock lens out in the garden for 30 minutes to do some tests and thought I'd see if the focus issue was still there.

Sat there for 10 minutes trying to catch it out and failed. Zoom in, focus, zoom out. Keep zooming around and it kept its focus point.

Now we all know the golden rule of electronics that you can never make these things misbehave when you want but I tried to range of f-stops, zoom ranges and ND settings and it was behaving itself. Granted this was one quick test.

Might Sony have already fixed this issue without shouting about it?
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #24
Major Player

I shot with the kit lens last weekend (having previously installed firmware v1.11) in manual focus mostly at f.4 and it was providing inaccurate focus the majority of the time after zooming in, focussing up and zooming out. Admittedly I'd only spot it when using manification to recheck focus after reframing, but it was out most of the time. Also note that I was using the clear image zoom, so my reframing was both in the optical and digital range of the zoom.

As to this not being an ENG/run-n-gun camera and needing to lower my expectations, here is one of Sony's headline statements; "The FS5 is a radical new design for unsurpassed on the go shooting in the most demanding of conditions."
Old March 12th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I shot with the kit lens last weekend (having previously installed firmware v1.11) in manual focus mostly at f.4 and it was providing inaccurate focus the majority of the time after zooming in, focussing up and zooming out. Admittedly I'd only spot it when using manification to recheck focus after reframing, but it was out most of the time. Also note that I was using the clear image zoom, so my reframing was both in the optical and digital range of the zoom.
Having just reviewed the footage from my limited test, I've not been able to reproduce the problem today. Of course I have no doubt the second I'm using the camera for real next week it will probably rear its head again.

Quote:
As to this not being an ENG/run-n-gun camera and needing to lower my expectations, here is one of Sony's headline statements; "The FS5 is a radical new design for unsurpassed on the go shooting in the most demanding of conditions."
The kind of marketing speak they put out with every camera I'm afraid. With a big sensor and the kind of lenses these cameras use, IMO it's never going to be as quick or easy to shoot with them compared to something like the old EX1. The results will be fantastic though.
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Major Player

Further to this, yep sure enough when I was using it in anger today the focus issue occurred on the stock lens. Frustrating but luckily noticed when I was setting up a shot.

While the stock lens is great value, it is rather quirky. I really don't like the focus ring at all. I hope someone comes up with an E-mount lens with a similar range to the stock lens but with a traditional focus ring, not this focus by wire thing. You just can't get a feel for the ring on the stock lens or what it will do when you turn it.

Other than that the pictures were lovely.
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #27
Major Player

the very reason im not putting out 6k for this camera. a majority of my shoots require long zooming shots.
ill look at the 150 at nab for 2500 less.
will suit my needs better.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #28
Major Player

Are you chaps all aware of this Sony webinar (for those registered to Prime Support): Sony webinar 29th March | Large sensor, big ideas

They are asking for advance questions to be raised/addressed during the event. I've already sent my own relating to the issues with the kit lens. Can I suggest others also do the same. Sony needs to understand this is an issue and needs addressing.
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #29
Major Player

Thanks Nigel. I've sent them request for a fix.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #30
Major Player

Please ask about the 18 105
If they are working on a fix
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5