Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ???

Can anyone explain Sony's image stabilisation standards together with which one will offer the best stabilisation on a FS5?

So far I've come across:

Optical SteadyShot
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
Balanced Optical SteadyShot

I'm currently researching/considering the Sony 18-200mm PZ (SELP18200) which has 'Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode'. But the only other two Sony lenses I have to compare it against are the 35mm (SEL35F18) and 18-105mm kit lens (SELP18105). Both of these have standard OSS and I'm not blown away by their image stabilisation compared with the IS on my old Canon XF300.

So I'm trying to work out if the extra 'Active Mode' aspect on the SELP18200 brings anything to the party?
Old June 25th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ???

I used to use the SELP18200 - which is the only lens compatible with Sony's 'Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode' that I know - with my FS100 (both sold now). Having now the FS7 with the 28-135mm kit lens (which only support standard Optical SteadyShot) I can confirm that the Active mode is much more effective; in fact this feature is - IMHO - the only thing that makes the 18-200mm an "interesting lens"...

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #3
Trustee

I use the Sony 18-200mm PZ as my main lens on my Sony A7s. The Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode works great. Previously I owned the Sony 28-135 f4mm and this was my main lens on my Sony A7s however after shooting many tests on the two lenses I sold the Sony 28-135 f4mm and stayed with the 18-200mm PZ.

I think the 18-200mm PZ and A7s combo is a a winner.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Major Player

So would I be right in thinking the 18-200mm PZ OSS 'Active Mode' will definitely work with the FS5, ie it's not body specific?

Also with this lens can a variable zoom be achieved via the rocker zoom on the FS5's smart grip? Thus if you press harder on the rocker the speed of the zoom will change. If so is this in any way affected by the position of the H M L switch on the lens?

Finally will the FS5's face detection work with this lens?
Old June 26th, 2016, 04:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Good questions mate, I'm not familiar with the FS5 so I have no advice here.

Cheers
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post

I think the 18-200mm PZ and A7s combo is a a winner.
Simon, that lens is native APS-C so am I right assuming you use the A7s in crpped mode?
Also I have the a6000 and the 16-50 power zoom kit lens zoom switch allows you to optically zoom, then almost seemlessly continue to digitally zoom if that mode is turned on in the camera. Do you know if the 18-200 PZ does the same?
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes, the Sony 18-200mm is for cropped sensor/ APS-C cameras, it's really a great lens.

Digital zoom would be in the A7s body/software and I think using the 18-200mm will work, I have no need for extra zoom so have never tried this. If you need extra zoom grab the A7sM2, I did see on YouTube or something where 4K, digital zoom and the 18-200mm worked well.

Cheers
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
Can anyone explain Sony's image stabilisation standards together with which one will offer the best stabilisation on a FS5?

So far I've come across:

Optical SteadyShot
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
The short answer is that regular version of Steadyshot performs best on medium and telephoto focal lengths when you're standing stationary and zoomed in to the subject. On the other hand, Active Steadyshot is designed wide angle run & gun shooting where the whole camera is in motion. Not too many lenses at this time have Active Steadyshot.
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks guys. My new SELP18200 turns up later today. I look forward to experiencing what 'Active Mode' can bring my style of shooting. Certainly I do a lot of run and gun, so for me it could turn out to be an invaluable aid.

But we'll see.
Old June 28th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #10
Major Player

For those who are interested I think this is how the land lies re Sony's stabilisation systems:

OSS - the standard on many of our lenses, involving a single moving element inside the lens.

OSS - Active Mode - I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but it appears it works through several moving elements in the lens (not the body). At the Wide end only there is a marked improvement (x10) in camera shake. At the tele end it's identical to standard OSS (according to one Sony source below).

Balanced Optical SteadyShot - the entire lens and sensor move/compensate and the improvement (x13) is at both ends, thus wide and tele.

This info came from these Sony linked sources:

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcor...ot/td-p/510311
Handycam | Optical SteadyShot (Active Mode)
Optical SteadyShot (Active mode)
Sony demoes benefits of SteadyShot Intelligent Active Mode on the Xperia Z5 | Xperia Blog
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
Thanks guys. My new SELP18200 turns up later today. I look forward to experiencing what 'Active Mode' can bring my style of shooting. Certainly I do a lot of run and gun, so for me it could turn out to be an invaluable aid.

But we'll see.
Hi, Nigel (and others),

I'm considering buying an FS7 and was considering the SELP18200 instead of the FS7 Kit lens (Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 to f/22 G OSS ). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Lynn Weissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Lynn,
My personal feeling is that the 18-110, though more expensive, works better as a kit lens than the 28-135, which I've always found to not be wide enough. Plenty of threads out there comparing them...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:58 AM   #13
Trustee

+ 1 on Dave's comment:

"My personal feeling is that the 18-110, though more expensive, works better as a kit lens than the 28-135."

Apart from anything else I now know of two operators who have bailed out of the 28-135 because even though it is supposedly parfocal both of these guys had a number of times when the lens would suddenly drift out of focus during zooming. Something Sony fixed in the 18-110. The 28-135 was purely a fly-by-wire coupled servo zoom whereas the 18-110 has a 100% mechanical coupling to the zoom ring.

I currently have the 18-110 which is in my opinion the best value all round lens for its price, useability and functionality. Auto focus, stabilization and auto iris if required. As a manual lens it's much more like a 2/3" ENG lens to work with which if you have come from that background is a very familiar feel.

Granted it's only F4 like the cheaper 18-105 but for run and gun with the sensitivity of the FS7 it has never been a problem for me. It's parfocal, not too heavy and has a very decent focus feel and throw. If I need extra length (HD only) I can use the FS7's center crop to give me 220 long end and it is still at F4 being a constant aperture lens . Overall it performs well from an operational point of view plus it is also a very crisp lens right through to the edges even when full open. I've had it up against the Canon C series 17-120 and it was almost impossible to pick the difference. The Canon has a better looking bokeh and is faster and feels more substantial in build quality. On the other hand the Canon is also much heavier and much more expensive. To even come close to competing with the Canon shows what good value the 18-110 is.

I currently also have the 18-105 which with the latest firmware is much improved. This lens gets hammered by many but when you know the lens and learn how to use it and get the most out of it the 18-105 is a no brainer for the price. Small, compact and light. I won't be getting rid of it.

I've owned and sold the SELP power zoom 18-200 which while it had a great range and as mentioned a very good Active Steady Shot the lens had issues I found unacceptable. The fact that it ramped from F3.5 to F6.3 I found very annoying when covering live stage shows sports etc. 1 & 2/3rds of a stop is a lot to lose when you have to zoom in while rolling. Plus never using Active Steady whilst on sticks it was pretty redundant. The F stop issue aside the BIG killers for me with this lens were:

1) There is there is a lateral image shift when starting a power zoom out from fully zoomed in.

and

2) There is a nasty momentary loss of focus along with the lateral shift when zooming out.

The focus issue is fairly well documented in this video. You can find numerous references or the problem on the web and no it's not a single lens issue because we tried numerous lenses at Sony and they all exhibited the same problem. Sony said it was par for the course because of the design of the lens. Also the fact that the servo zoom on the the 18-200 even on its fastest setting was was still totally glacial wasn't an endearing quality either.

Notwithstanding these two issues I found the lens to be surprisingly sharp. For me as I mentioned the 1&2/3rds stop loss on zoom made it pretty limited for on jobs where you are required to zoom while rolling. I ummed, and aahed, and hesitated about selling it but since it's gone I haven't missed it.

Last thing. If you get either the 28-135 or the 18-110 I would STRONGLY suggest you use a rail support with it on an FS7 as with 1Kg hanging on that little still camera E-Mount it exhibits a fair bit of flex movement. If you check around the web you will find a few ops have snapped off the rear lens mount on these lenses and they are a non repairable part. Chuck the lens out and get another, not a nice thought! I support mine from the front mount on the 18-110 and it's good and solid on a set of 15mm rails.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Last edited by Christopher Young; January 15th, 2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Additional info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #14
Tourist

Thanks, Dave and Chris, This is super helpful. The video that Chris linked to does a fabulous job of showing the zoom/focus irregularities of the SELP18200.

I was looking for an affordable kit servo lens with a bigger range of wide-to close, which is why I was interested in the SELP18200, though now that does not seem like a great option.
Lynn Weissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #15
Trustee

Hello Gentlemen,

I have two Sony E PZ SELP 18-200 f3.5/6.3 and one Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS

To me, the 18-200mm are "kit" lenses in every way. I avoid them even though I have two of them. Not only are they poor performing in fit, feel, and function mine are a bit soft. It blows my mind they are still on the market for twice the price of the PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS

The PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS is a better lens in every way when compared to the PZ 18/200mm. I would not let active steady shot sway that opinion.

When I say the PZ 18/200 is a bit soft I see this rear its ugly head if I try to mix footage from the two lenses. The 18/105mm f4 G image quality blows it away. I can't mix them. On the other hand I can mix the 18/105 f4 G with my four Canon "L" series lenses and it stands right up there with them. And I'm shooting HD, I can't imagine the 18/200mm in 4K.

Granted, the $3,400.00 18-110 G par focal is the proper lens for your FS7. Like Christopher said, there is a lot to the performance and feel of a true ENG lens. Most of the time you get what you pay for. But in the case of the two kit lenses above the reverse is true.

Kind Regards,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5