Catalyst Browse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old August 21st, 2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Catalyst Browse

Does anyone know why I don't have a 'copy' button in my Catalyst Browse software for ingesting? Very weird.... I have the 'select' button, but nothing next to it. I even deleted the software and downloaded it a second time, but the same result.
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Catalyst Browse

Sony moved the copy button in a recent update. The button is now up near the right-hand top corner just to the left of the "Options" icon. The new button does not have a label. Dumb. Really dumb.
Once again, another example of how Sony continually pulls the rug out from under your feet just when you get comfortable with one of their programs. I miss Content Browser.
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Doug!
Yes, frustrating indeed.... and I agree, I really liked Content Browser myself, but since this is the 'new' app, I guess it's what we have to deal with. Nice of 'em to leave it unlabeled too!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Is it just me, or does Browse crash on playback more often than not? ALL other programs on my system are rock solid...

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Major Player

In my experience I wouldn't say that Catalyst Browse crashes 'more often than not' -- since that would mean experiencing crashes more than 50% of the time...

However, I do find that it will freeze perhaps once in 20 uses (5% of the times I use it) - usually if I'm trying to do a number of things in rapid succession (such as playing with making numerous radical color changes...)

Since most of the other programs I use are pretty stable on my systems, I will say that Catalyst seems to freeze more often than most of the the other programs I use.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever had an issue with it freezing during transcoding (which is where depending on it is most critical!)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have Catalyst Browse on 2 PC. Only use to transfer files to PC from FDR-AX1, FDR-AX100, AX53 cards I have never had it freeze at all. I use Content Management Utility for files from my NX5U and NX30U and never had that freeze either. I have not needed to transcode as my normal editor is EDIUS and will work with native files just fine. PC's are an i7 3770K running WIN7 and the other now is an i7 4790K running WIN 10.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:50 PM   #7
Vortex Media

I have several complaints about Catalyst Browse and things I'd like to see changed, but I do not have a problem with it crashing on any of my Macs. Rock solid as far as that goes.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

OK Gentlemen - perhaps I should have been more specific and added that Browse is only crashing on me (and really does it often) when I'm playing back clips from my FS7 in the CC page, doing some grading while watching the output full screen on my 2nd Windows monitor...

From your answers I see that you mostly use the Copy and/or trancode your footage in Browse - I can admit that during these operations, it probably has never crashed here, either... But using it in 2 monitor configuration is definitely flawed, so I almost completely gave up on using this functionality. BUT - with that said - I must add that any of my numerous applications are rock solid on the very same system also while run in 2-monitor mode (including Sony's own Vegass Pro 13, and not even to mention Resolve which NEVER crashed ever since I installed the 12.5.1 version).

So, Browse is definitely the least stable of all my applications. What's worse - I don't think that after SCS adopted the subscription model for their entire Catalyst suite, we will ever be gotten free update of the current Browse version :-(

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Catalyst Prepare 2016

Hi all,

Catalyst Prepare 2016 is now a free download.
Powerful in many ways than browser.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...epare#download

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5