FS5 "Sensor" vs. A6300 "Sensor" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 15th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Trustee

FS5 "Sensor" vs. A6300 "Sensor"

So, I decided to do the unthinkable..... I have been very curious about the image sensor difference between the FS5 and the A6300. As many of you know, the FS5 uses the image sensor originally developed for the FS700 about 5 years ago. It's a great sensor. However, the A6300 uses Sony's very latest 2016 cutting-edge sensor architecture with 6k readout and scaling engine. This is obviously a highly advanced sensor with spectacular performance!

Yes, it DOES have a rolling shutter problem. This is NOT the image sensor's fault. Instead, it is the fault of the read out circuit and it's column read speed. Sony was forced to clock it was down to control heat in a small passive body. It was the only way they could keep it somewhat cool in the A6300's tiny body. However, this same sensor can be clocked higher in an active cooled body like the FS5 and rolling shutter skew would could be greatly reduced.

Anyway. Here is a preview video of some of my tests. I will not say which sensor is which. I will let you guys debate which is the $5,500 FS5 and which is the $1000 A6300 image sensor.

PLEASE. BEFORE ANYBODY STARTS TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE IDEA OF COMPARING THESE TWO RADICALLY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS. THIS IS ONLY AN "IMAGE SENSOR SCIENCE" TEST AND NOT A "CAMERA COMPARISON". IMAGE QUALITY IS ONLY ONE FACTOR IN DETERMINING WHAT CAMERA IS RIGHT FOR YOUR JOB. YES,....WE ALL ALREADY KNOW IT IS RIDICULES TO DO A FULL FEATURE SHOOTOUT BETWEEN THESE TWO MODELS.

YES,....THERE IS NO REAL CAPARISON IN THIS REGARD!!! AGREED!!!

Try to watch in 4k if you can.....Behold! (I have to admit, I almost fell out of my chair when I threw this together...I was NOT expecting such a drastic difference)

Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FS5 "Sensor" vs. A6300 "Sensor"

Hi,first clip: A6300 on the right. second clip: A6300 on the lift side! correct!?
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: FS5 "Sensor" vs. A6300 "Sensor"

I mention this in the YouTube posts but I'll also ask this here:

Could the A6300's 6k readout and scale-down to 4K be the "next generation" processing engine that Sony is developing? How does this sound?

6K Image sensor readout
6K DeBayer and RGGB assembly.
6K Color processing.
6K Noise Reduction.
Very careful 6K to 4K scale down engine presents image to CODEC and HDMI.

Think about it..."IF" (big "IF") they can capture a 6k image that is in the 6000x3000 ballpark. (18 megapixels) You then would have 9 million green and 4.5 million red and blue pixels. That will deliver a SIGNIFICANTLY more detailed 4k image after DeBayer is complete. And doing all of the dirty work of image processing in that 6k world BEFORE you downsize it to 4K? Even your noise gets finer and less blocky. Think of the chroma resolution? Hell, even in a lowly 4:2:0 subsamble vs. a standard 1:1 readout! The difference is huge. (1:1 readout only delivers 4 million green and 2 million red and blue)

"IF" Sony is testing this out on the A6300 first...I can only imagine what they have planned in the next year when it goes into larger fan cooled bodies with increased processor power and higher sensor column read out speeds.

"IF" all this is true?....this A6300 represents a WICKED Sony crystal ball........

If its not true? Than maybe I'm just dreaming. ;-)

Last edited by Cliff Totten; September 16th, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5