Card Errors message -media needs to be repaired? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 19th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Card Errors message -media needs to be repaired?

I'm on a location job and don't have my Doug Jensen book with me.
I was shooting a wedding last night and for space, needed to vary ny cards and lower codec to l25.
Things were working fine , and I was shooting on a particular card, and during break, shut down fs7.
When I showered the camera back on, a message came up saying" media needs to be restored. Out of fear ( or caution), I did not pus the restore option, and hit cancel, planning to deal with it when I got home
The card would not open or play thumbnails.
I read somewhere that Doug's chapter 7 says it's no big deal, just file hous keeping.
Anyone else run into this message, and is it saf to push the "restore media" optio?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Card Errors message -media needs to be repaired?

I have had this type of error message on my jvc ls300 while dual recording to 2 different brands and sized SD cards, like you I didn't do anything at that moment and replaced the cards to deal with it at home, there I found out the cards where unreadable untill I put them back in camera, turned the camera on and got the same message again, when I said "yes" to repair the data on the card the camera did what it said it would do and there was my precious data. :)
Eventhough it's a different brand of camera the end result should be the same.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Anyone else run into this message, and is it saf to push the "restore media" optio?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
One time I got a "Media need to be restored" message as well while using an MxM adaptor.
I did just that and everything turned out OK.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I agree with the advice you already got.
Any time you see the “Restore Media” message you should definately let the camera do it. Yes, it is just a housekeeping function. If you still have the card, you could try putting it back into the camera and see if it will ask you again. Good luck.
Old September 21st, 2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks , everybody. The card is fine.
I remember something similar, but disastrous, on the fs100, and for that reason, I was scared to push "restore media". So now I know
Bruce Yarock
VIDEO PRODUCTION FORT LAUDERDALE, SOUTH FLORIDA|MIAMI|PALM BEACH AREA
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Trustee

If you are at home and the card is readable, you could backup the entire contents of the card first to your hard drive. Then, let the camera do it's normal restore function. This way you could at least retain a copy of the card before the camera altered it.

I "think"....(I dont "know" this)...that the camera does a consistency check with the Sony written meta data and folder structure. I dont "think" it actually does any repair or scan of the media memory blocks or repairs the file allocation table of the media partition.

If anybody with better knowledge could chime in on this, I'd love to know more.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Not advisable to put a card that you wish to 'restore' into a PC or Mac unless as a last resort. The computer could write files to the card which could potentially interfere with the restore. This is especially true of Macs.
Old September 25th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Hmmm...I agree there could be a risk. In "theory" a simple folder copy process in Windows wont write anything on the source media. You would, of course flip "on" the write block switch on the SD card to hopefully make that media "read-only".

I have done this before in the AVCHD days and had no trouble in-camera restoring broken media links.

Many many years ago when AVCHD first came out, I remember that my Sony camera actually destroyed the media on a card after it did a restore. All the files became unreadable after the process was complete. Even Windows couldnt play them. Jeesh,...was that a Sony Memory Stick?

Anyhoo....Media recovery tricks are always a gamble in some way.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5