Fs5 and fcp 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old May 11th, 2018, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Fs5 and fcp 7

just purchased the fs5, (in the post!) having FCP 7 will this edit native ok or is there a work around
thanks
John Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fs5 and fcp 7

No it won't edit it natively!

If you also purchase the Sony XDCAM Firmware Pack for the FS5 you MIGHT be able to edit with that - but the FS5 records XAVC-L otherwise. So you are going to have to transcode the footage (I will let someone else suggest good software for this as I never need to transcode anything I edit).

I really think you need to look at updating your NLE - if nothing else you'll realise just how much faster you can edit with modern NLEs on a decent Mac for editing.

What about trying out the free version of Resolve if money is tight? FCPX is not that expensive either.

I think you'll love the FS5. Have fun and hope this helps.
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Vortex Media

Re: Fs5 and fcp 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doran View Post
. . . or is there a work around
As Andy says, the "workaround" is to migrate to a modern, faster, better, NLE.
Not just for XAVC campatibility but also for all the other improvements that will allow you to work faster and better. Time is money.
Unless you are just a hobbyist there is no reason for a professional to be hainging onto FCP7.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5