4 lavs into SONY FS7 - how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 9th, 2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Major Player

4 lavs into SONY FS7 - how?

haven't ever recorded 3 or 4 interviews at same time without an audio engineer on board with all his gear - SO, how do I record up to 4 interviewees at same time into the SONY FS7 II?

There's only 2 XLR inputs, so have to rent a mixer? Shoot is run/gun, so how to do this?

thanks very much
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4 lavs into SONY FS7 - how?

The battery powered mixers used by location sound recordists are pretty small, so you may get away with one of those. They usually come with a shoulder strap and are extremely portable.

SQN mixers are popular in the UK.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Vortex Media

The best way would be to use a XLR-K2M adapter on the Mi-Shoe to add two more XLR jacks. Put each mic on its own discreet channel. Much simpler than doing dual-system sound and syncing in post.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
Old June 9th, 2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks folks, good link Doug

so I guess you'd have to velcro the sennheiser receivers to the camera or something? I'd have 4 mounted to the camera?
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Is this a run & gun shoot where you have to be mobile? If not, then I'd just put the receivers on a table or in a mixer bag and feed them into the camera via short XLRs. There no reason to have them all hanging off the camera if you don't need to be mobile. And if you DO need to be mobile with four mics, I'd be calling an audio guy (or gal) to come in and take care of it for me.

I just noticed you said in your first post "run and gun". There's no way I'd want to manage four mics on a run and gun. I'd get assistance so I could focus on other stuff like shooting, lighting, directing, producing, etc.
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Major Player

yep, run/gun, mostly in a moving car but also walk talky - I really want a sound guy but may have to do this myself - 2-4 interviewees I was told.
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Vortex Media

You probably won't want to spend the money for a one-time shoot, but if this might be a common situation you could invest in a Sony wireless system with two transmitters and a dual-channel receiver for the Mi-Shoe rather than using the XLR adapter. I have the single-channel version and it works great. No cables, no batteries, nothing but a little receiver the size and weight of a deck of cards. That would give you two wireless mics and then you could hang the other two receivers off the back.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259500-REG/sony_urx_p03d_14_urx_pd0214.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:54 PM   #8
Major Player

nice stuff thanks - yes I don't usually have to wire more than 2, not a standard thing for me so investing more $ for such, is an issue.
Old June 10th, 2020, 08:35 AM   #9
Major Player

Another idea of mine. What about a Tascam DR-60DMKII 4-channel audio recorder. Then you could adjust them easily in post.
Old June 11th, 2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Kent,

I did this often with my FS7. With two dual receivers from Lectrosonic. I owned one and rented the second when needed. I was on the move all day between boats, docks, and boat to boat shoots. Lectrosonic is great for their with scanning and getting four clean channels. Make sure you use good mics. Saken COS 11D works great for me.

I used the two mounts on top of the handle for mounting both receivers. Each had its own XLR which only gives you one input each. I never found this a problem in post and had a custom setup in PP CC for editing the narrative.

Hope you find a easy solution? Nice there are a lot of rental houses looking for business.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; June 11th, 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5