PIX240 and Sony F3 audio sync offset? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Major Player

PIX240 and Sony F3 audio sync offset?

Hi guys,

I've been reading the various issues people have been having with audio sync and the Sony F3 when the mic is plugged directly into the PIX recorder.

Has anyone figured out the specific 'Audio Input Delay' required to sync PIX audio with the F3's HD-SDI video output?

Cheers
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: PIX240 and Sony F3 audio sync offset?

I haven't done anything scientific, but 2 frames offset would be a good starting point to try.

The amount of offset you need depends on on the framerate. 1 Frame at 29.97 = ~33 ms, 1 frame at 23.976 = ~42ms
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try. 2 frames at 25fps would be 80ms, so I'll see how that goes.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, as an update for anyone who's interested. After a bunch of tests we settled on 53ms as the delay for the F3 at 25p. Seems to have worked a charm.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Can't help with the Sony but I had the same problem with a AG-AF100. To find out what the delay actually is I took the left channel from a stereo microphone and connected it to one of the camera's XLRs and connected the right channel to a channel on the Pix. I pointed the mic at a broadband source (an artificial water fall) and recorded a few seconds. I use an analysis program called IGOR which has the ability to strip audio channels from Quicktime files. Once the two channels were in the analysis program it was a simple matter to run the cross correlation and find the peak. The camera lags the recorder by 97.25 mS. Setting the Pix to 97 mS aligns camera and Pix audio to within 12 samples.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders