Power options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 15th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Power options

So for the most part we' ve been powering our one pix via the AB tap . We recently purchased a 2nd pix...for 2nd camera work. Although we have 4 batteries for the pix....they seem to go quickly.

This cam configuration is a Canon XH-G1 with HDSDI.

It's too small for a AB battery. Anyone using an external "belt" battery to power the pix for longer periods?

Any other suggestions? Used this cam and pix for outside shooting for 9 hours of run/gun shooting style the other day and was constantly running for pix batts. AND I was turning the pix on/ off between shots. Later I tried dimming the screen and buttons but that didn't seem to conserve energy.

Thx.
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Power options

Hi,

I have found the best way to power the PIX is with AB batts - Dionic 90s. Anything smaller just doesn't last. I used my G1 with my PIX a while ago and had to use a shoulder rig so I could attach my AB batts - have to say it worked well. So my advice would be to get a simple shoulder mount.

Cheers,

Chris
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Power options

Kevin,

Yes, it seems that most shooters with smaller cams are using some sort of shoulder-mount rail system.

Attached is a picture for a shoot I was on the other day. The rig was rented from Zacuto, Dionics powered the whole thing, camera and PIX. Joe, the AC, was using the PIX with FocusAssist for critical focus on the Zeiss Primes.

Rail systems really seem to be a matter of taste, there are just too many ways to do it.

The other possibility would be an Anton Bauer Dionic mounted on one of their belts:

Anton/Bauer - Products - UNIPAC

The NBA used these with the PIX mounted to the belt, so the only connection from camera to belt was the BNC (they were shooting VariCams, HDX-900s and other full sized cameras.)
Attached Thumbnails
Power options-2012-12-20-11.07.19.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders