Firmware 3.0 problem? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware 3.0 problem?

I have a strange issue since upgrading my PIX240 to firmware 3.0

In studio situations I usually connect my PVM-740 monitor into the SDI output on the PIX and this has been working fine for over a year. Since upgrading to version 3.0 the monitor won't initially display a picture after powering up the PIX... just nothing, black. However if I connect the monitor directly to the camera output it bursts into life - I can then reconnect it to the already powered PIX and it'll work fine? Until I shut down the PIX and then I'll have to do this whole routine again!

It's as if the monitor isn't being woken up by the SDI signal being passed through the PIX?
(but once woken all will be fine!)

Any idea's?
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Firmware 3.0 problem?

Paul,

What are your settings for Scaler (File Resolution/Rate), SDI Output Type and Video Overlay in the Video Menu?
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

Taken straight from the menu....

SDI In: 1080PsF25/10b
File: 1080Psf/25
DNxHD145M

SDI Output Type: HD (4:2:2 10-bit)
Video Out TC Overlay: Off

However, I've noticed this last week that the problem is becoming intermittent. In fact, sometimes it's hard to recreate the problem... and then suddenly it'll happen again?

If this hadn't started at the same time as I upgraded to 3.0, I'd probably blame the PVM-740. Trouble is it doesn't happen at all with my other SDI sources?

Thinking more... I'm not even sure it's a PIX problem - especially as no one else has posted similar.

Sorry, my bad.
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
New Boot

Paul,

Thanks for the update. Any information is good information when it comes to the PIX interacting with other gear.

Please let me know if the issues become more pervasive.

Matt
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay, slightly different today... I was using an additional client monitor (normal 1080 LED TV) plugged into the HDMI output of the PIX. I couldn't get the TV to wake up to the HDMI signal at all.

I cycled the power on the TV & the PIX to no result, and then discovered how to get it going... Turn the PIX off and on again without the cable connected. Only after it's booted up again and displaying a picture should you finally connect the cable. The TV then wakes up and everything works fine.

All the time this was happening the simultaneous SDI output to my own monitor was working as it should.

Not sure if this is an issue or not? No one else is reporting similar?
Paul Ream is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders