lugging your gear - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: lugging your gear

Absolutely love our Mumticart RT12, but these wide bungee straps really take the cake for best investment to transport gear: Keeper, 48 in. Flat Bungee Cord Ultra in Orange and Black, 06118 at The Home Depot - Mobile
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Good ideas here, but I face a couple of issues that there's probably no solution for:

I'm driving a Toyota Highlander and I load the equipment in the back. That means lifting fairly heavy stuff up to belly-button height. I've considered a ramp, but if I have to park on a city street, it's unlikely I'll have enough room in back to use it.

Also, stairs. The more stuff I have with me, the more I have to carry upstairs. That can be really tough lifting, and sometimes dangerous if the stairs are old, narrow, creaky wooden ones.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I bought an aluminum hand truck at Home Depot. It's either a 2 wheeled hand truck or lays down to a 4 wheeld cart. I had a guy weld a small 6" x 8" piece between the back wheels (when in it's in the cart mode). This lets me stand my tripod and some light stands between the handles instead of trying to balance them on top of the gear. A small bungy cord holds them in place. Total cost was about $250.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Another vote for the Multicart with the largest solid rubber wheels available; they never let you down and push with less resistance than pneumatic. The shelves are a must have, doubling the working area of the cart and providing a great surface for audio bag, monitor, computer etc. The ability to go short or long with the shelf is handy as well and I often secure an umbrella to the cart which people really appreciate here in FL.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Mark, the multipart = the Rock n Roller? What do you think is the smallest practical size for 2 cases, 3 light stands, and a tripod?

The longest piece is one of the light stands, at 42", but I guess it could extend beyond the front.
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Trustee

A Magliner Gemini Jr convertible hand cart.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #22
Major Player

That Magliner looks good but it's heavy for me to lift comfortably into the SUV. I'd say 25 lbs. is about the max.
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Trustee

Swear by these:

Kart-A-Bag Welcomes You!

Have filmed all over the world using them. Have used them for the last fifteen years or so and would hate to live without them. Very strong and well made, can carry 330lbs and can be steered with just a couple of fingers when using the lock-down rear wheels. No need to balance as it justs sits there waiting to be pushed or pulled.

For certain stairs you can use it In two wheel mode with the rear wheels locked up as it actually has stair slider rails in the back of it.

Folds down pretty compact for vehicle or flight stowage. There is also a carry bag available from Remin for these Tri-Karts. Many camera crews use them over here. I love 'em!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #24
Trustee

I'm not sure I could live without my Tri-Kart 800. nearly 10 years of use and it's still going strong.

Curious about the carry bag (I never bought one back then) t noticed that on-line store is throwing a 404 error.

Hope it's just temporary.
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #25
Trustee

Hmm! See what you mean. Tried sending them an alert email but that link also appears to be down. Anyone local over there care to give them a call and let them know?
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #26
Major Player

B&H carry the Tri-Kart and the carry bag.

remin tri_kart 800| B&H Photo Video.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Major Player

I'm fairly budget-minded when it comes to investing hard-earned dollars into cases for my gear, but I've found a few "bargain items" enhance the more expensive solutions.

First, I'm a die-hard fan of Pelican cases. I have 3 sizes - one for a pair of LED light heads, one for my Z5 video kit, and one for my DSLR kit. All have wheels and dividers, and all can easily be re-configured for each shoot.

Second, I have an SKB molded golf transport case with wheels. It's large enough for a tripod, 4 light stands, mic boom and backdrop. Works well when traveling by air.

Third, don't overlook home improvement centers like Home Depot or Lowe's. Check out the Husky zippered bags in this 3-pack organizer Husky 3-Pack Organizer-82010N11 at The Home Depot
and the 12-inch tote bag perfect for a 150 watt head and grip gear Husky 12 in. Tool Bag-81632N09 at The Home Depot

Fourth, I found some small transparent acrylic organizer boxes with compartments at The Container Store. I have batteries in one, and all my mic accessories in another.
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
Mark, the multipart = the Rock n Roller? What do you think is the smallest practical size for 2 cases, 3 light stands, and a tripod?

The longest piece is one of the light stands, at 42", but I guess it could extend beyond the front.
Yes Philip, they are one and the same. B&H doesn't show the shelf which I always use but it is 28" in short mode and 50" when the R12 is fully extended and you add the shelf extension. I would definitely go for the R12 as it has the best wheels. Might be more than you need but I have never said "I wish this thing carried less stuff"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664498-REG/MultiCart_R12NF_8_in_1_Equipment_Transporters.html
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM   #29
Major Player

There are a couple cases that have made my life easier. First the Kata LW-97W PL. I can get my tripod, two light stands, and and LED softlight kit, and a couple days worth of clothes and get under the 50 lb. weight limit for flying. If I don't need to worry about weight I can get more lighting gear and an additional stand in there too. For almost all purposes I can make this work. And having this plus my wheeled camera bag makes it easy to move quickly.

When I need more gear I take my Porter Case with me. It is basically a case that converts into a cart. I can stack up whatever I need on top of it and don't need to bring a separate cart. Important when flying.
Porter Case, Inc.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Major Player

That Porter Case is an idea I've had rattling around in my head, but didn't know existed. (Top of case=cart platform.) Could never think of a way to make it work reliably with a regular case+cart, but I'm happy to know it exists.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew