Corporate Same Day Edits? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Corporate Same Day Edits?

Is anyone doing corporate same day edits? Specifically with more scripted or short interview and product/screenshots broll. The editing aspect has really been dragging me down and I'm trying to find new options that take less of my time and get done faster. I have a company I do some work for and do everything at their place and on their system. Got me thinking I can do the same with other business' and not take home work.
Travis Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Corporate Same Day Edits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Wilber View Post
Is anyone doing corporate same day edits? Specifically with more scripted or short interview and product/screenshots broll. The editing aspect has really been dragging me down and I'm trying to find new options that take less of my time and get done faster. I have a company I do some work for and do everything at their place and on their system. Got me thinking I can do the same with other business' and not take home work.
I do some same day edits. The trick for me is that I shoot with my Canon XH-A1 to my HP Elitebook i5 laptop via FireWire to Adobe OnLocation. I can load that file directly into Edius. I have an external monitor hooked up to the laptop for dual screen operation, and I have a Shuttle controller.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Trustee

I tend to agree that the 800 lb gorilla is transcoding - get an Atomos product to record direct to ProRes, and then edit straight off the hard drive in the Atomos. I am lightening fast at the editing itself - it's all the other stuff that drags me down.

I am shooting press conferences and editing an A-roll/B-Roll package to set on a website for the stations that didn't make it out. Need to finish no more than an hour or two after the presser. It's a sprint, but it's possible.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Pre-production.

Saves all the hassle in the world. Knowing your story ahead of time saves a whole lot of over-shooting and over-editing. I wouldnt necessarily always script interviews, but if you can direct them and know what you want to say ahead of time it saves you all the time in the world. I recently did a project in haiti that included 10 days of footage and an hour of interviews, but based on pre-production I had the whole thing edited into a 2.5 minute video in around an hour and a half. I also dont transcode or anything though so I cant speak to that side.
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Major Player

If they want something same day, you could connect a dvd recorder (like you connect to the tv, not the pc) to the video out of your camera. You'll need to remember to finalize the disk before you eject it and hand it to the client. Legal videographers doing depositions do this all the time.

Sure, it's just SD, but it's quick. Just remind the client it's an unedited raw video sneek peak.

No way would I try a same day edit on a corporate shoot. Most of mine are multicam anyway.

It's very important to give new clients your best work since it's for their business, if you want them to become a regular customer. I don't see how you can give good enough work the same day. It's stressful enough pleasing customers without trying to rush. Plus you need to give consistently good results to your current customers if you want to keep them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew