Lighting kit suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old June 24th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting kit suggestions

Hi - I'm looking to get a good lighting kit for interviews. What do you use/suggest?
Ian Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lighting kit suggestions

Ian...my first recommendation is to purchase a DVD. Doug Jensen's/Vortex Media "How To Set-Up and Shoot Awesome Interviews with LED Lights", he has an older version DVD using Tungsten Lighting kit as well. The DVD provides Doug's rationale and his recommendations for the choice of lights and how he uses the lighting "system" to expertly light various 'interview' situations. In my opinion, this training DVD is worth every penny.

'Good' LED lights are quite expensive, but, IMHO, the advantages out-way the expense. And, it's my chosen solution. Using Tungsten lights cuts your costs significantly and have been used for years to obtain professional level results. Doug provides an equipment 'shopping list', be it LED or Tungsten, in each DVD.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

J.

Last edited by James Kuhn; June 24th, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: deleted "both".
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Whelan View Post
Hi - I'm looking to get a good lighting kit for interviews. What do you use/suggest?

It would help to know your budget.
?
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi James -0 I actually attended one of Dougs seminars here is Dublin - might pick up that DVD! The FS100 one is tempting too...

I'm working on a budget of about 800 euro.
Ian Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Major Player

For whatever it's worth...

Most simple interview lighting setups I do involve a Lowel RIFA 55 (with 40 degree egg crate) and a Pro-light (with or without a diffuser umbrella), and a few 5-in-1 reflectors to taste. When possible, I sometimes add a second Pro-light to highlight a background. Such a simple kit should be well within your budget, and very easy to transport.

Despite the heat, I prefer tungsten as a dependable, even, full-spectrum light source - and relatively cheap.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Major Player

I got rid of all my tungstens a year ago. Now I don't have to worry about conflict from window light, I don't have to use leather gloves to handle my lights, and I don't blow any circuit breakers. But the LEDs do fall off somewhat shorter.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Major Player

+1 for watching Doug Jensen's DVD or offering your services as a PA on corporate shoots. My kit was built over the course of many years, as budget allowed. Now it's a hodge-podge, but 20% of the gear gets 80% of the use. Currently, my favorites are the 2 bank fluorescent case lights. About 1/2 the cost of LED, I get a nice soft source (with spill control from the honeycomb grids), comfortable talent, no blown circuits and pretty accurate skin tones. For hair light, I've gone with a 312 LED (bi-color). Even a cheap one will do a decent job as a hair light. Use black wrap if you need a tighter beam. When budget allows, I'd love an LED fresnel. A few 5-in-1 reflectors come in quite handy for fill, scrim or flag. I've seen good results with a China ball and a hard light source. the key is being creative and working the angles.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a garage full of lights, fluro & tungsten. I don't know why but the first kit I reach for (interview wise) is my old lowel totas with umbrellas & a couple of dedos for backlight. Love the results I can achieve with these old tunsten dinosaurs.I find the fluros very handy though for green screen and outdoor fill on a cloudy day.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #9
New Boot

+1 re Doug's DVD.

My standard set up is two Dedo Fellonis and two Dedo Ledzillas and a whole bunch of reflectors, diffusers and blacks to control light - both from the lights and other existing sources.

So all LED and generally running off V-lock batteries, or mains power if its going all day.

Have also found the Manfrotto Stacker stands to be great as they pack well for travel.
Simon Thewlis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew