DSLR or standard video camera & audio questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Tourist

DSLR or standard video camera & audio questions

Hi all, I just landed a gig and could really use some help with my gear. I’m going to be following an entrepreneur around with my camera shooting footage of him that we are making into quick 30 second social media videos.

He wants to start making videos like this with the same sort of b-roll and also shots of him when he’s on stage or even off stage coaching a specific person:
https://www.facebook.com/gary/videos/10154411736768350/

Currently, I have the Canon T3i with the kit lens, 50mm and the Rokinon 85mm F1.4. I shot an event for him last weekend and while my set up was decent for that I feel like I may be better off getting a regular video camera because of how there will be so much movement and also the fact that my dslr overheats after only 10-15 minutes…I lost some footage because of this over the weekend. Does this make sense and do you think that is my best bet? If so which camera would you recommend under $1,000.

I had some audio issues too. When he was on stage, I had him wear a lav mic connected to the H1 Zoom recorder. While I had some great audio, some of it was completely lost where it recorded for up to 2 hours but there was no audio…I think he may have pulled the mic out a bit but still don’t understand why the recorder wouldn’t have picked up anything. Any thoughts on if this is still the best set up or if you have other ideas? I’m hesitant about wireless because of interference when we are at an event.

I will also be making videos like this for him: https://www.facebook.com/ajitnawalkh...4480013426137/

He said a monopod was used to hold the camera to get this look of the camera swaying around…is that correct? He wants me to recreate that kind of look.

Any help or guidance is very much appreciated!
Mandy Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DSLR or standard video camera & audio questions

Audio is the most important element in these videos. The images can be all kinds of warped and erratic nonsense but if the audio is crap the message gets lost.
In my opinion and experience, you have to monitor the audio, so you know what you're recording.
It makes it so much easier when it's baked in to the video, too; vs. syncing up the media - that's a real momentum killer in post.

That said, your budget is low.
You'll lose the depth of field look if you go with a sub $1k video cam.
I think you may have to be resigned to looking toward upgrading your DSLR to one with a headphone out and a wireless lav, initially.
Then, at some point a large sensor video cam (2-4k).

In a stage setting - try to patch into the soundboard to your recorder for a backup (bring RCA / 1/4" / XLR adapter to cover all bases).

I sympathize with the overheating issue; my first DSLR was a T2i and that was really annoying; i thought they fixed it in newer models- if the screen articulates move it away from the back of camera.
I have a 70D that seldom overheats; i never shoot video without my Carry Speed viewfinder attached.
If you don't have a viewfinder, which gives you a third point of contact, you will need the monopod. I use my monopod more as a boom for a mic than as a monopod.
I see that the 80D has a mic & headphone jack. Or you could explore this monkey business:
I don't know if Magic Lantern is still around but it had a lot of great stuff for my T2i back in the day.
Hope this helped and doesn't hinder - sometimes too much information can be a bad thing. ha.
Good luck.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree with what Mark said.

You can make anything work, but if it's critical to follow someone around and not miss a shot because you're attempting to use the beauty-shot look of a dSLR in spite of it's shortcomings as either a run-and-gun or long-form video camera, I think you'll end up frustrated.

I personally wouldn't try this kind of work without having a regular video camera to go along with the dSLR.

A Canon XA10 is currently $1299 but comes with XLR audio connections and works very well without having to add anything except an extra battery and memory cards.

There are other makes in this same category of "not the latest model but still available new in the box, regular low-end-pro video camera with XLR audio" around, maybe for your $1000 price point. The XA10 was the one I'm most familiar with and would match the color characteristics of your T3i (which I also have).

Pair the regular camera with your dSLR to gain strengths in all areas of video work.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; August 23rd, 2016 at 11:16 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For DSLR style video I use Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. It's $995. It shoots ProRes. It's MFT but with SpeedBooster it's almost s35. It's not the best run & gun camera though given no useful auto features and only in lens stabilization which isn't great for moving shots. It's great for cinematic shooting though.

For run & gun I use Sony PXW-x70. It's 1" sensor can still give me a moderately shallow DOF in some cases. It's $2000 though but you may find one less on the used market.

I've heard rumor that a Canon XA15 may be announced at IBC in a few weeks. You might be able to get an XA10 for less once the announcement becomes official.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Major Player

If you do use Magic lantern you can get audio out via the USB to A/V cable or buy or make a dedicated one. If making one it must be the Canon cable cut it and splice on a female connector. I used a headphone extension, simple to solder the two together and shrink wrap to give a tidy finish.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might of forgot to lock it recording. Decent senn or sony lav will cost $600 obviously big advantage is you can monitor your audio live and is easier to edit and produce. I'd suggest a fast wide to medium zoom if you stay with dslr. Eng cameras are made for run and gun work and are always a good tool to have plus so many built in features to make your life easier in an easy to hold and use package.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew