Revolving Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Revolving Head

Hi there. I am rather new to this whole scene but currently seking to purchase a Sony Fx1e this weekend and then the adventure begins......

I have recently seen the documentary "Part of the Weekend Never Dies" directed by Saam Farahmand about the band Soulwax and he employs a technique whereby the camera pans from left to right by way of remote control through about 120 degrees or so.

I can't seem to find anything that specifically does this but this may be simply because I am so new to everything.....

Can anyone identify what I am talking about and where to purchase one/them. An example of the technique can be seen in the following clip (at 29 seconds):

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=32967388

All help gratefully received.
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Tim............

Not entirely sure I followed what you're actually after.

The pan shot @29 seconds looks like a straight pan using a pan/ tilt head on a tripod, nothing in it to lead me to believe it was done remotely, tho' it can be done using one of these:

Pan & Tilt Power Head

Any help?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'm with Chris. Looks like a garden variety pan to me. And I used to have one of the motorized heads that Chris sent a link to. Used it on the end of our jib with a Sony VX1000 for high wide shots. It worked ok but it's not anything to write home about. Inexpensive though, if you need a motorized pan/tilt head.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think that's the one as it looks very similar to a device attached to the end of the tripod in a few scenes. It created some very nice scenes in the documentary and looked a lot smoother than by doing it by hand.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated :)
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Keep in mind that starts and stops will always be smoother with a seasoned hand as all the cheap devices I've ever seen don't ramp up to speed. If you NEED a constant speed, such a device might work quite well for you.
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Bescor MP 101

He used a bescor mp 101 to shoot with....or at least when they were in my town and he was shooting that is what he used.
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

Unless you are talking a motion control head, remote heads will simply duplicate whatever the camera operator "tells" them to do, via wheels or joystick. The best of them will give a 1:1 feel that would duplicate the results if the operator was performing the move on a standard head; many cheap ones will deliver a more mechanical feel (for better or worse), something like a roving security camera.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Unless you are talking a motion control head, remote heads will simply duplicate whatever the camera operator "tells" them to do, via wheels or joystick. The best of them will give a 1:1 feel that would duplicate the results if the operator was performing the move on a standard head; many cheap ones will deliver a more mechanical feel (for better or worse), something like a roving security camera.
Which would you see as the best ones? The Bescor MP101 mentioned above seemed really good in the documentary...
Tim Davison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications