Big copy stand at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old October 7th, 2002, 10:05 AM   #1
Wrangler

Big copy stand

A bride gave me 3 2 by 3 foot gaterboards covered with pictures as source material for her photomontage. I am not allowed to remove them or damage the board in any manner.

My Bencher copystand, while large, will not get me to the center of the gaterboard with any degree of comfort.

Placing the boards on an easel and shooting each picture forces a lot of repositioning of the camera and it is difficult to align the camera square to the picture.

Solution?

I used my camera crane to hold the camera over the boards as they lay on the floor. Lighting is easy, I can 'dolly' in with the crane and roam around the photos with ease by moving the board. I control the camera with a remote and manually move the camera as it is balanced on the crane. I watch the image on an attached monitor.
Old October 7th, 2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,
What will brides ask for next? <g>

Have you considered using a digital still camera to snap shots from the board and then bring theem into your video timeline? It might be easier than repositioning copy stands and will produce better shots than your video camera.

Just a thought.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yes, but I still have to get the camera aligned to the picture and the crane does this

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications