Affordable motorized heads?: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old November 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Affordable motorized heads?:

Hello,

I am looking for an affordable motorized head for my tripod and video camcorder (hmc-150).

Doing a search on google I found some interesting products:

Orion:
Orion TeleTrack Altazimuth Tracking Mount | Orion Telescopes

MP-360
MP-360 360 Degree Continuous Rotation, Pan and Tilt Motorized Head with Remote Control. Everything you need and ready to use. Ready for the customer to take the controls. Everything is complete and is ready for immediate use. At 21best.com.

Anyone have experience with these or other products?

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

the MP360 looks very much like the one by Bescor. I think Bescor is actually a bit less money, maybe look at that.
www.bescor.com

Motorized Pan Head Rotates 90 degrees each direction

Model MP-101
Fastens between any tripod head and video camera. Two motors allow independent smooth remote adjustment of vertical and horizontal panning motion. Panning speed adjustable via the handheld remote control. Auto Pan Mode, allows continuous horizontal panning motion. Switch selector for either a 30, 60 or 90 degree movement. Maximum horizontal angle + and -90 degrees. Maximum vertical angle + and -15 degrees. Power Source 4 AA batteries or PS260 power supply. Size 5.75” x 4.5 x 4”. Weight 27 oz. The MP101 can support up to a 6 pound camera.

Model PS-260

A.C. Power Supply

Model RE-20

20’ extension for remote
Model RE-50

50’ extension for remote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

True but the mp360 turns much further and has more speed controls.

But thanks for the information.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Trustee

It's probably impractical for you but Hague in Nottingham UK is the UK seller of the Bescor item and offers a mod which converts it into an unrestricted 360+ pan.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
the MP360 looks very much like the one by Bescor. I think Bescor is actually a bit less money, maybe look at that.
www.bescor.com
it looks like the exact same one, cept the bescor costs about $100-120 and has to be modded to get the 360 going on it. We have used that bescore model and dissasemble it entirely, mod it for the 360, then (long ago) we shredded the internals, put 2 speed controllers and a RC type remote on it, so i could get PWM full joystick throw speed control. added in some servos and motor control for the camera , and had a full remote camera.
not even sure if i could pull it off again, but it was awesome, the simple pan tilt unit has everything one would need for a robocam base, just a matter of talking to it with the right stuff. then somone got the idea of putting in a bit of counterbalance weights that came off the base plate and dangled below it for better counterbalance.
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Trustee

the 360 ver looks cool.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Trustee

The main problem with the Bescor/Hague model is that the tilt angle is very limited, just +- 15 degrees. We used three with custom-designed and built radio control of head and camera with video sent back to the control box for our "limited space" set up. However, we've now replaced them with another head with much better quality workings and double the tilt angle.

The original Bescor/Hague units are being auctioned (I don't think I can say where, can I?) as is a tilt angle extender which is the only way to overcome the limited angle of the Bescor/Hague tilt.

The other problem with the Bescor/Hague units is that the over-the-top design imposes stricter load limits than other under-slung designs, but it was more than adequate for our Z1s with mics etc.

One other small reminder - all P&T heads have to be levelled off - probably easier and more cheaply done with a simple photo tripod and a levelling ball.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Trustee

Is there another option of a similar or slightly higher price range that can handle a DSLR?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Trustee

How heavy's the DSLR? The Bescor handles a Z1+MRC1+radio mic receiver + AT897+two 970 batteries!
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Trustee

ooh that sounds ok. a 5D2 with a L lens is about 2.5kg max i guess.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Tourist

How can I modify my MP-101 in 360° ?

Hello,
Where can I get the instructions to modify my MP-101 bescor ?
Thanks
Philippe
Philippe Chau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications